WHY ARTICLE AT LAVERY?
Choosing the firm where you will article is one of the biggest decisions of your professional life. Lavery provides a stimulating work environment, and exceptional support that match your aspirations
Here are a few excellent reasons to article with us:
- Lavery is the largest independent law firm in Quebec and serves national and international clients in the context of major transactions or cases;
- Values such as respect, integrity, commitment and excellence have shaped our culture and built our reputation;
- We are looking for new colleagues, not just articling students. We recruit a limited number of articling students to offer individualized coaching and make every effort to enable them to create a place for themselves within the firm;
- An articling program supervisor and lawyers will provide you with a solid training and mentoring program. They will share their expertise with you, support you and give you feedback while promoting your integration and the full development of your potential. Throughout your article, you will be entrusted with important responsibilities and challenges to ensure that you progress rapidly;
- A director of professional development works to ensure professional coaching upon your arrival and throughout your career at Lavery;
- You will meet a significant number of people and build a broad professional network from our 175 lawyers supported by a team of paralegal and other professionals as well as our clients and partners from other provinces and countrie;
- With a wide range of practice areas to choose from, you will be able to explore many aspects of the law and better choose your area of practice.
Each year, our recruiting committee comprised of 15 lawyers puts together recruitment activities on the different university campuses. In the course of these activities, our recruiting team endeavors to meet and get to know students through career days, cocktail parties or other activities organized on the campus of your university.
We conduct a rigorous analysis of the applications in order to identify applicants who most closely match the profile we seek for articling students. In addition to considering the student's academic results and bilingualism, which must be exemplary, we favour candidates who are dynamic and innovative, and show a potential for business development and an awareness of customer service. Respect, integrity, dedication and a commitment to excellence are shared values of the firm that we look for in aspiring articling students.
At Lavery, we understand that it is quite a challenge to prepare for the period of interviews while you are still pursuing your legal studies. Therefore, we hold only one interview with each candidate. During this interview, we take the necessary time to get well acquainted with the candidates and give them the opportunity to tell us about their professional strengths, personal qualities and motivation.
The personality of the applicant and her or his compatibility with the philosophy and culture of the firm are particularly important to us. This is reflected by the sense of belonging our lawyers feel for Lavery.
RECRUITMENT PROCESS 2013 – KEY DATES:
- Career days:
- Université de Montréal – January 17, 2013
- McGill University – January 16, 2013
- Université du Québec à Montréal – January 14, 2013
- University of Ottawa – January 22, 2013
- Université de Sherbrooke – January 9, 2013
- Université Laval – January 24, 2013
- Applications may be submitted on the VIRecruit portal from January 28, 2013 at 9 a.m. to February 6, 2013 at 1 p.m.
- Interviews and recruitment activities – March 4 to 21, 2013
- Employment offers – March 22, 2013
STUDENT EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM
Lavery offers summer jobs to students selected for articling positions. We also offer to extend this opportunity during the year according to their availability. As a student:
- You are working with lawyers practising in various areas of the law, particularly in doing research in preparation of legal opinions, motions and hearings and assist lawyers in business closings.
- You are under the supervision of a firm partner responsible for students as well as mentors respectively appointed by their practice groups.
- You are provided comprehensive training, particularly on the following subjects:
- Structure and operation of the firm
- Presentation of the various areas of practice
- Practice court
- Research and drafting
- Professional ethics, conflicts of interest, professional privilege
- Instructions on SOQUIJ, Quicklaw, Lexis-Nexis and our in-house search system, legislation, regulations and specialized databases
- Interactions with clients, the courts and opposing parties
- Any other relevant subject
As a student, you are fully integrated into the Lavery team. More particularly, you are invited to participate in the various social and sports activities of the firm.
LAVERY AT A GLANCE
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. 175 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in 120 countries.