Areas of practice
Ms. Cantin is a partner at Lavery. She has been a member of Lavery’s Litigation group for 28 years and was also the co-coordinator of the group. Her practice is focused on insurance law (including questions related to insurance coverage) and civil litigation.
She is coordinator of Lavery’s Construction Law group.
Ms. Cantin handles cases in the areas of construction and insurance law as well as professional liability, especially in connection with sustainable development projects. Her practice includes product liability and commercial litigation. In the area of product liability, she is retained by insurers and manufacturers in Canada and elsewhere. She has extensive experience representing clients in complex matters before the civil courts and in alternative dispute resolution procedures such as mediation.
She represented several insurers in cases involving major fires, acting for subrogees and defendant insurers. Her services are regularly retained to represent contractors or professionals in major construction project. She also represented an insurer before the Court of Appeal to obtain a ruling allowing insurers to henceforth involve, by forced intervention, third parties potentially liable for a claim, even if the insurer has denied its insured’s claim.
She is listed in the 2018 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading practitioner in the field of Insurance law and Construction law. She has been recognized as a leader in that field since 2010. She was also recognized in the 2016 edition of the Lexpert Special Edition on Canada's Leading infrastructure Lawyers. Moreover, Ms. Cantin is recommended in the Canadian Lexpert® Directory (2016) in the field of Litigation – Commercial Insurance.
- Builders' Risk Insurance: Interpreting the Usual Faulty Workmanship and "LEG" Exclusions in connection with Ledcor and Acciona, March 2018
- An obiter of the Quebec Court of Appeal makes its way up to the Supreme Court of Canada, November 2016
- Wellington type motions seeking to order a CGL insurer to take up the defence of its insured, October 2016
- Legal newsletter for real estate and construction professionals, Number 10, May 2015
- Cooling towers and asbestos: new obligations for owners, tenants, managers and employers, June 2014
- Building safety – New onerous obligations for owners, April 2013
- The World’s Leading Lawyers in the fields of Insurance and Reinsurance, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the fields of Insurance law and Construction, consistently since 2010
- Lexpert Special Edition in the field of Infrastructure, 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory in the field of Litigation – Commercial Insurance, 2016
- Member of the Barreau du Québec
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1989
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Served on the Executive committee of the Canadian Bar Association, Insurance and civil litigation section
- Mentor to several lawyers in the Litigation group
- Member of the Statutory Committee of the Barreau du Québec as arbitrator in fee disputes
Publications by Marie-Claude Cantin
- Marie-Claude Cantin and Jean Hébert
News/Press release by Marie-Claude Cantin
- Pierre-L. Baribeau , Josianne Beaudry , René Branchaud , Jules Brière , Richard Burgos , Marie-Claude Cantin , Louis Charette , Eugene Czolij , Pierre Denis , Norman A. Dionne , Raymond Doray , Louis-Martin Dubé , Nicolas Gagnon , Michel Gélinas , Caroline Harnois , Jean Hébert , Richard A. Hinse , Pierre Marc Johnson , Bernard Larocque , Guy Lavoie , Jean Legault , Guy Lemay , Jean Martel , Patrick A. Molinari , Philip Nolan , Luc Pariseau , Jacques Paul-Hus , Louis Payette , Elisabeth Pinard , Sylvain Poirier , François Renaud , Marc Rochefort , Ian Rose , Raphaël H. Schachter , Jean-Yves Simard , Gerald Stotland , Philippe Tremblay , Jean-Philippe Turgeon , André Vautour and Yanick Vlasak