Martin Bédard practises mergers and acquisitions and tax law as a member of the firm’s Business law group. He specializes in the taxation of corporations and their shareholders. He also advises clients on the tax implications of their national and international transactions and issues related to consumption tax and specific tax laws.
Mr. Bédard also counsels his clients, either buyers or sellers, on M&A transactions, both nationally and cross-border, whether for commercial, corporate or tax aspects.
Mr. Bédard also represents clients on tax litigation with the Canada Revenue Agency and Quebec Revenue Agency on income tax and sales tax issues before the Tax Court of Canada and all other tribunals.
Mr. Bédard also teaches two courses in the Master of Laws — taxation program at HEC Montréal on corporate taxation and international tax principles.
- Represention of Nitrex Metal inc. and its shareholders in the sale of a major stake of their interest in the corporation to Novacap and pre-sale tax planning and reorganization
- Represention of Freestone International LLC and GNL Quebec Inc. in organizing their corporate and tax structure for their US$7 billion project development to implement a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on a site administered by the Saguenay Port Authority
- Representation of buyers and vendors on various M&A transactions, in Canada and cross-border, from a commercial and tax perspective, with closing prices ranging from $5M to $200M
- Representation of various clients on tax litigation with the Canada Revenue Agency and Quebec Revenue Agency on income tax and sales tax (GST / HST / QST) issues, before the tax court of Canada and all other tribunals
Professional and community activities
- M&A Club - Member, Advisory Committee, Co-chair on the M&A Awards Gala, Co-chair of the Young M&A Club
- Canadian Tax Foundation - Young Practitioners Steering Committee
- Association de planification fiscale et financière
- Canadian Bar Association
- Young Bar Association of Montreal
- “Fatca for investment funds – be ready for May 1, 2015”, Lavery CAPITAL, Legal newsletter for investment fund / venture capital fund promoters, managers, and investors, Number 4, April 2015
- “Proposed general anti-treaty shopping rule: Private Investment funds will need to play it safe”, Lavery CAPITAL, Legal newsletter for investment fund / venture capital fund promoters, managers, and investors, Number 1, , May 2014
- “The 2014 federal budget plan sounds the death knell for two family tax planning measures much appreciated by entrepreneurs and some professionals”, RATIO, quarterly legal newsletter for accounting, management, and finance professionals, Number 23, March 2014
- “Employee or Self-employed Worker? The Court of Appeal of Québec Rules”, Need to Know, January 2014
- “The bagtech case, or the impact of a unanimous shareholder agreement on the status of a Canadian-controlled private corporation”, RATIO, quarterly legal newsletter for accounting, management, and finance professionals, Number 22, December 2013
- LL.M., HEC Montréal, taxation, 2013
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2009
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 2010
Publications by Martin Bédard
- Martin Bédard