Areas of practice
Bernard Roy is a partner who focuses his practice in the areas of taxation, business law as well as the protection and transmission of estates and assets.
Mr. Roy’s primary areas of activity include representation before the courts, negotiation of notices of assessment and draft assessments with tax authorities, tax and estate planning, estate settlement, testamentary and inter vivos trusts as well as providing income tax advice.
Bernard Roy began his career in 1987 with the legislative branch of Revenu Québec. Since 1991, he has worked in private practice in taxation.
Mr. Roy earned his law degree from Université Laval. He took the In-Depth Tax Course given by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) and was called to the Québec Bar in 1987. He is a member of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) and the Canadian Tax Foundation. At the APFF, he chairs the Québec City region morning seminars committee and also helps organize tax symposiums for the APFF in the Québec City region. Mr. Roy regularly gives seminars on tax matters to members of the APFF.
Professional and community activities
- Member of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF)
- Member of the Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member of the Chambre de commerce française de Québec
- Member of the Court of Quebec committee
- Chair of the Québec City region morning seminars committee of the APFF
- Organizing member of tax seminars for the APFF in the Québec City region
- Guest speaker for the APFF on various tax issues
- Participant in drafting summaries of provincial budgets for the APFF
- Member of the board of directors of Enfants d'Orient et d'Occident (2010-2013)
- Chair of the Conseil d'établissement des écoles Saint-Louis-de-France-Saint-Yves (2010-2013)
- Member of the Conseil d'établissement des écoles Saint-Louis-de-France-Saint-Yves (2006-2013)
Publications and lectures
- Les méthodes alternatives de cotisation, at the luncheon of the Association de planification fiscale et financière, January 21, 2016
- Les règles fiscales applicables aux chercheurs postdoctoraux étrangers, at the Colloque sur la mobilité de la main-d'oeuvre, Association de planification fiscal et financière, Montréal, June 11, 2015
- La rectification de transactions au Québec depuis les decisions AES et Riopel de la Cour Suprême du Canada, as part of the business luncheon series of the Association de planification fiscal et financière, May 14, 2014
- L'administration fiduciaire n'est pas une mince affaire, for the Colloque sur les fiducies, no. 226, Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montréal, February 6, 2014
- Jurisprudence récente(Recent case law), for Le Colloque sur la planification successorale, les successions sous la loupe d'une équipe multidisciplinaire, no. 224, Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montréal, May 22, 2013
- Les fiducies de protection d'actifs (Asset Protection Trusts), Association de planification fiscale et financière, December 2, 2004
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1986
- In-Depth Tax Course, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA)
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1987
News/Press release by Bernard Roy
- Bernard Roy , Chloé Fauchon , Anthonie Vézina-Crawford , François Bélanger and Sylvain Pierrard