Areas of practice
Sylvain Poirier is a partner of Lavery and heads the Quebec health policy and law team, and a member of the Employment and Public law groups. He was also a member of the Board of Directors of the firm from 2014 to 2017.
Mr. Poirier’s leadership skills and abilities led him to establish and develop a multidisciplinary, multisectoral Quebec health law team. Health law deals with the legal issues surrounding the organization and smooth functioning of an effective health care and services system.
Mr. Poirier thus acquired an in-depth knowledge of all areas of law related to the health sector:
- Health administration law
- Bioethics and human rights
- Working conditions of executives and general managers in the health care system
- Governance, management, and strategic planning of health and social services institutions
- Contracts and regulations
- Public health issues
- Administrators and officers liability
- Professional and disciplinary law
- Management of scientific research, technology transfer, and commercialization of results
- Civil liability of health and social services institutions
- Access to information
- Custody orders and medical treatment authorizations
A visionary, Mr. Poirier led his previous law firm to develop expertise in the emerging area of health law, gaining recognition as the health law leader of Quebec and Canada. Today, Mr. Poirier represents public and private institutions, professional bodies, and associations of health representatives, professionals, and managers. He has acted for the Association des hôpitaux du Québec and the Association québécoise d’établissements de santé et de services sociaux and now represents SigmaSanté.
An author, Mr. Poirier published Le contrôle de l’exercice de la médecine en milieu hospitalier in 1994. He has also written briefs for those charged with the framing, adoption, and application of laws and regulations adopted by Quebec health care and services authorities. He has also published numerous articles in specialized reviews and a regular newsletter distributed throughout the health system.
As a speaker, Mr. Poirier has delivered numerous training sessions in health law to institutions or groups of institutions, health care managers, and health professionals. He has also given talks as part of the Barreau du Québec’s mandatory continuing education program. He was also a lecturer in health law (Master’s program) at the Université de Sherbrooke’s faculty of law.
As a jurist, Mr. Poirier has appeared many times before all Quebec courts in both civil and administrative matters. He has also appeared before Quebec’s professional orders and quasi-judicial bodies.
An active member of his community, Mr. Poirier has participated in many fundraising activities for hospital foundations and chaired and contributed to the success of benefits in the health sector.
Holder of a master’s degree in health law, Mr. Poirier has contributed to the advancement of health law in Quebec and was founder and executive secretary of the Société de médecine et de droit du Québec.
- Les conflits d'intérêts des cadres, du personnel, des professionnels et l'exclusivité de fonctions des cadres supérieurs des établissements publics de santé et des services sociaux: guide, Montréal, Association des hôpitaux du Québec, 1998, 26 pp.
- Le contrôle de l'exercice de la médecine en milieu hospitalier, Sherbrooke: R.D.U.S., 1994
- L'avortement et la liberté de conscience du médecin, Les Cahiers de droit, vol. 31, no. 1, 1990, pp. 287-305
- “The medical examiner’s role” in health care facilities, training session, 2015-2016
- “Medical staffing plan management” in health and social services facilities, training session, 2015-2016
- “Health law – Recent developments (2012-2013)”, Mandatory continuing education program of the Barreau du Québec
- “Monitoring the practice of medicine within institutions – a collective responsibility”, training session, 2012-2013
- “The complaint-handling process and its major stakeholders”, training session, 2011-2012
- “Public-private healthcare partnerships and recent developments”, lecture, Université de Sherbrooke law faculty, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Health Law, consistently since 2012
- The Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, Health Law, 2014 and 2017
- LL.M., Université de Sherbrooke, 1993
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1983
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1984
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Health committee of the Fédération des chambres de commerce du Québec, since 2014
- Volunteer, Petite Maison des Enfants Soleil (Centre-Sud), since 2011
- Member, Campaign cabinet of the CSSSS du Coeur-de-l’île Foundation, 2008-2011
- Founder, Société de médecine et de droit du Québec, 1989-2001
Publications by Sylvain Poirier
- Sylvain Poirier and Charles Olivier Thibeault
News/Press release by Sylvain Poirier
- Pierre-L. Baribeau , Josianne Beaudry , René Branchaud , Jules Brière , Richard Burgos , Marie-Claude Cantin , Louis Charette , Eugene Czolij , Pierre Denis , Norman A. Dionne , Raymond Doray , Louis-Martin Dubé , Nicolas Gagnon , Michel Gélinas , Caroline Harnois , Jean Hébert , Richard A. Hinse , Pierre Marc Johnson , Nadine Landry , Bernard Larocque , Guy Lavoie , Jean Legault , Guy Lemay , Jean Martel , Patrick A. Molinari , Philip Nolan , Luc Pariseau , Jacques Paul-Hus , Louis Payette , Elisabeth Pinard , Sylvain Poirier , François Renaud , Marc Rochefort , Ian Rose , Raphaël H. Schachter , Jean-Yves Simard , Gerald Stotland , Philippe Tremblay , Jean-Philippe Turgeon , André Vautour and Yanick Vlasak