Areas of practice
Claudia Bérubé’s practice focuses on civil and commercial litigation, particularly in the areas of insurance, civil and professional liability, construction, hidden defects, and taxation law. She frequently represents clients and argues cases before all Québec courts.
Ms. Bérubé also works closely with health and social services institutions in matters pertaining to mental health and the inviolability of the person, primarily with respect to confinement in an institution and consent to care.
While earning her MBA, Ms. Bérubé completed two internships in human resources management, management, project management, and marketing with Université de Sherbrooke’s registrar’s office and communications department.
While pursuing her law studies, Ms. Bérubé completed an internship with a judge of the Superior Court of Québec, served as ambassador of the Université de Sherbrooke’s faculty of law, and taught its documentary research course to second-year students. Ms. Bérubé has received several prizes and distinctions, including the Albert-Leblanc Medal, the highest distinction awarded by Université de Sherbrooke’s faculty of law, presented to the student who has best demonstrated academic excellence and been actively implicated in the faculty, the university, and their community. She also made the Dean’s List every year during her law studies.
Ms. Bérubé is still very involved in her community. From 2013 to 2015, she sat on the board of directors of the Regroupement des compagnies résidentes du Centre des arts de la scène Jean-Besré, an association tasked with promoting the development of the performing arts in the Eastern Townships.
Finally, Ms. Bérubé supervises students in the Pro Bono Students Canada program participating in a project on the new Civil code of procedure and teaches legal methodology to first-year students at Université de Sherbrooke’s faculty of law.
Publications and lectures
- "The Small Claims Court: for whom and how?", seminar offered to Lavery clients at the Sherbrooke office, January and February 2015
- L'ordonnance de traitement et d'hébergement: aspects pratiques, lecture given to psychiatry residents at the CIUSSS de l'Estrie - CHUS, June 2014 and June 2015
- Développements récents en droit locatif, lecture given to owner members of CORPIQ, April 2013
- Incendie dans un immeuble à logements et décès de deux enfants en raison de détecteurs de fumée non fonctionnels: à qui revient la responsabilité ?, article published in Focus, July 2013
- Cooperative MBA, Université de Sherbrooke, 2011
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke, 2011
- Member of the Barreau du Québec
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Association du Jeune Barreau du district de Saint-François
- Jeune Chambre de commerce de Sherbrooke
- Association des professionnels en assurance de l'Estrie
News/Press release by Claudia Bérubé
- Claudia Bérubé and Marika Couture-Houle