René Branchaud, partner and chairman of the Board of Directors of the firm, practises in the fields of securities, mergers and acquisitions, as well as corporate law. With more than thirty years’ experience, he advises companies on matters such as incorporation and organization, the drafting of shareholder agreements, private placements, public issues, going public, dispositions, and takeovers.
His services are in demand with European entrepreneurs and investors, primarily in France, wishing to set up companies in Canada. René has acquired extensive experience in this area and the specific challenges facing companies moving to Québec. He advises businesses in all sectors of economic activity on the legal and regulatory aspects of doing business in Québec and Canada, identifying the business services they will need and assembling multidisciplinary teams to facilitate their efforts. Over the years, he has built a strong business network (bankers, financial advisers, tax experts, and accountants) that he calls upon when carrying out the mandates entrusted to him.
René sits on the boards of directors and acts as secretary of several publicly traded companies; he also serves on corporate governance committees and special committees established to address specific issues (mergers, takeovers).
- Advise issuers preparing public offering and private placement documents
- Advise senior management during mergers and acquisitions
- Coordinate due diligence reviews in connection with financings and mergers
- Advise securities dealers in connection with financings, mergers, and stock exchange listings
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the fields of Corporate Law, Natural Resources and Securities, 2018
- The Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, Mining Law, 2018
- The Legal 500 Canada as « Recommended Lawyer » in the area of mergers and acquisitions, 2017
- Lexpert Special Edition – Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers in energy law, 2017
- Lexpert/Report on Business Special Edition – Corporate in corporate law in Canada, 2017
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in the field of Natural Resources Law, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canadain the field of Mining Law, 2017
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of Corporate Finance Securities, since 2016
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of Mining Law, since 2010
- « Lawyer of the Year in Montreal» par Best Lawyers in the field of Natural Resources Law, 2014
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1982
- Member of the Barreau du Québec
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Midland Exploration Inc.
- Maya Gold & Silver Inc.
- Opéra de Montréal
Publications by René Branchaud
- Mylène Vallières and René Branchaud
News/Press release by René Branchaud
- Pierre-L. Baribeau , Josianne Beaudry , Jean Boulet , René Branchaud , Richard Burgos , Marie-Claude Cantin , Louis Charette , Eugene Czolij , Pierre Denis , Jean-Sébastien Desroches , Michel Desrosiers , Norman A. Dionne , Raymond Doray , Louis-Martin Dubé , Nicolas Gagnon , Michel Gélinas , Caroline Harnois , Jean Hébert , Richard A. Hinse , Édith Jacques , Pierre Marc Johnson , Bernard Larocque , Guy Lavoie , Jean Legault , Guy Lemay , Jean Martel , Patrick A. Molinari , Philip Nolan , Luc Pariseau , Jacques Paul-Hus , Louis Payette , Sylvain Poirier , François Renaud , Marc Rochefort , Ian Rose , Raphaël H. Schachter , Jean-Yves Simard , Gerald Stotland , Philippe Tremblay , Jean-Philippe Turgeon , André Vautour , Bruno Verdon , Jules Brière , Elisabeth Pinard , Christian Dumoulin and Yanick Vlasak