Areas of practice
Bernard Larocque is a partner whose practice focuses primarily on civil litigation, including defamation law, insurance law, professional liability, and administrative disputes. He frequently appears before the courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada and the Quebec Court of Appeal.
Mr. Larocque regularly speaks at conferences on various subjects such as insurance law, liability, and civil procedure. He has also been certified as an instructor by the Institut d'assurance de dommage du Québec / Insurance Institute.
Mr. Larocque is listed in the 2017 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading practitioner in the fields of class action litigation and insurance law.
- Represent numerous companies, including news organizations, in defamation suits as either plaintiff or defendant
- Represent an international engineering consulting firm in a billion-dollar class action related to contaminated soil
- Represent a major law firm in professional liability proceedings related to a public offering
- Represent several insurance companies in litigation related to damages totalling tens of millions of dollars as a result of flooding in several municipalities.
- Represent a multinational company in a class action related to groundwater contamination
- Represent energy companies in a class action related to the operation of a hydro-electric dam
- Overlapping Insurance Policies: The Court of Appeal of Ontario Toes the Line! In Fact and in Law, Mary Delli Quadri and Bernard Larocque, April 2014
- The Theratechnologies Case, In Fact and in Law Express, Jean-Philippe Lincourt and Bernard Larocque, March 2014
- Pension Plans and Class Actions: the Vivendi case, In Fact and in Law Express, Josée Dumoulin, François Parent, and Bernard Larocque, January 2014
- The Robinson Case: the Final Chapter, In Fact and in Law, Bernard Larocque, Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin, with the collaboration of Jérôme Bélanger, January 2014
- The liability insurer's duty to defend: what is the lawyer's role?* Bernard Larocque and Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin, Recent developments in insurance law, Barreau du Québec, Éditions Yvon Blais, vol. 373
- Professional liability insurance and gross fault: the Court of Appeal sings a different tune, In Fact and in Law Express, Bernard Larocque, September 2012
- Liability Insurance, professional activities and gross fault: the Québec Court of Appeal sets the record straight, Lloyd's of London v. Alimentation Denis & Mario Guillemette, In Fact and in Law Express and ChADPresse, Bernard Larocque, August 2012
- Self insured retention amounts: what is their scope in civil law?* Louis Charette and Bernard Larocque, Recent developments in insurance law, Barreau du Québec, Éditions Yvon Blais, vol. 337
- The lawyer and best litigation practices,* Bernard Larocque, courses given to students at the Barreau du Québec – 2013-2014
- Insurance in the context of commercial leasing,* training given by Bernard Larocque to the Real Estate Law Group – October 21, 2014
- 2013 Annual review of insurance case law,* Bernard Larocque and Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin, Lavery Symposium, January 14 and 15, 2014 / Jean Bélanger damage insurance conference, January 22, 2014 / Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association, February 12, 2014
- The liability insurer's duty to defend: what is the lawyer's role?* Bernard Larocque, Recent developments in insurance law symposium, Montréal, October 4, 2013
- The good and the bad of the insurer's duty to defend,* Bernard Larocque and Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin, Lavery, October 24 and 25, 2012
* Title translated from the French.
- Université Laval, LL.B., 1994
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1995
- Canadian Bar Association
- Lecturer at Université de Montréal (2008-2009 and 2009-2010)
- Member and chair of the board of directors of GEIPSI (community organization) (2002-2009)
- Member of the board of directors of ProBono Québec (2010-2011)
- Member of the board of directors and treasurer (2011-2014), and vice-president (2015) of ProBono Québec
- Member and chair of the board of directors of Les Deux Mondes theatre company (2014- )
- Member of the Approval Committee of ProBono Québec (2009 -)
- Member of the board of directors of Théâtre I.N.K. (2009 - 2012)
- Member of the task force on the Best Practices Guide of the Barreau du Québec (2011-2012)
Publications by Bernard Larocque
- Catherine Pariseault and Bernard Larocque
News/Press release by Bernard Larocque
- Pierre-L. Baribeau , René Branchaud , Jules Brière , Richard Burgos , Marie-Claude Cantin , Louis Charette , Eugene Czolij , Pierre Denis , Raymond Doray , Louis-Martin Dubé , Josée Dumoulin , Nicolas Gagnon , Michel Gélinas , Caroline Harnois , Jean Hébert , Richard A. Hinse , Pierre Marc Johnson , Bernard Larocque , Guy Lavoie , Jean Legault , Guy Lemay , Jean Martel , Patrick A. Molinari , Philip Nolan , François Parent , Luc Pariseau , Jacques Paul-Hus , Louis Payette , Elisabeth Pinard , Sylvain Poirier , Marc Rochefort , Louis Rochette , Ian Rose , Jean Saint-Onge , Raphaël H. Schachter , Jean-Yves Simard , Gerald Stotland , Philippe Tremblay , Jean-Philippe Turgeon and André Vautour