Areas of practice
Karine Joizil is a partner with the Litigation and Conflict Resolution group. Over the course of her career, she has acquired strong expertise in civil and commercial litigation, including class actions. She also represents clients in litigation involving administrative law, access to information and protection of personal information, and corporate law.
Ms. Joizil has acted for businesses of various kinds in complex class action cases involving important legal issues. Her experience in a boutique firm specializing in class actions provided her with thorough knowledge of their unique procedural aspects of class actions. The practical advice she can offer on developing appropriate strategies in such cases is based on experience acting for both plaintiffs and defendants.
Karine has acquired in-depth knowledge of the laws and regulations applicable to the health sector, in particular the Act respecting health services and social services and the Act respecting clinical and research activities related to assisted procreation. She regularly acts as legal counsel for health care providers, professional orders, private clinics, specialized medical centres, assisted procreation centres, pharmaceutical companies as well as a professional association of specialist physicians.
She also has experience in intellectual property law, particularly as it relates to trade-marks and to patent infringement and validity issues.
- Representation of medical clinics in a class action dealing with extra billing
- Representation of aviation companies in a nuisance class action based on noise complaints
- Representation of a Canadian railway company in a nuisance class action arising out of an increase in rail traffic and the resulting noise
- Representation of the leading ready-to-eat cereal producer in Canada before the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal in a national class action based on allegations of Competition Act offences for allegedly false and misleading information about the nutritional values of reduced sugar products
Health and social services
- Representation of assisted procreation centres before the Tribunal administratif du Québec in a case involving the renewal of their operating permits
- Representation of a specialized medical centre in negotiations with the Ministère de la santé et des services sociaux
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration, (D.E.S.S. en administration publique), École nationale d'administration publique, 2011
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 2001
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1999
- Introduction to French Law (Certificat d'initiation au droit français) with honours, Université de Poitiers, 1998
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the executive committee of the Administrative Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association (2017-…)
- Member of the Judicial Advisory Committee, Department of Justice Canada (2017-...)
- Chair of the board of directors of the Société québécoise de récupération et de recyclage (Recyc-Québec) (2016-...)
News/Press release by Karine Joizil
- Karine Joizil