Areas of practice
Evelyne Verrier is a partner and holds degrees in both actuarial science and law. She coordinates the firm’s Distribution of financial products and services group and has served on Lavery’s board of directors. Her practice focuses primarily on civil litigation and insurance, and she coordinated that group for several years.
Ms. Verrier frequently appears before the courts in disputes involving life and disability insurance, damage insurance, and professional liability. She has also participated in several alternative dispute resolution processes that were resolved to the satisfaction of all parties.
Ms. Verrier has drafted several opinions in the area of distribution of financial products and services concerning the compliance of various insurance products marketed by Quebec and foreign insurers and their distribution.
Ms. Verrier also advises clients in the area of the professional liability of various players in the financial services sector, including that of investment advisors, insurance representatives, and insurance brokers.
Ms. Verrier regularly advises clients on questions related to the scope and interpretation of insurance policies and speaks at events related to disputes involving damage and life and health insurance.
Ms. Verrier has participated in various training sessions on governance, particularly courses on governance in the financial services industry delivered by the Collège des administrateurs de sociétés.
- Represent financial institutions in litigation pertaining to the liability of investment advisors and insurance representatives
- Defend the interests of financial institutions in the context of claims related to life and disability insurance policies, including universal life insurance
- Advise reinsurers on the application of contractual clauses in disability and critical illness policies
- Represent insurers in litigation involving fraud in both damage insurance and life and health insurance
- Conduct statutory reviews related to damage insurance
- Provide several opinions, specifically related to the Act respecting insurance, the Regulation under the Act respecting insurance, and the Act respecting the distribution of financial products and services
- Advise insurers respecting beneficiary designation
- Give opinions on issues pertaining to the online formation of an insurance contract and other distribution questions, with or without a representative
- Give opinions respecting electronic signatures
- Defend insurers before the courts in questions involving life and disability claims under individual and group polices
- Draft opinions respecting the scope and interpretation of contractual clauses in the area of damage insurance and life and health insurance.
Presentations and talks
Ms. Verrier is regularly invited to speak by organizations such as the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association and the Canadian Institute. She has given training sessions on damage insurance, life and disability insurance, and the distribution of financial products and services.
Ms. Verrier’s recent talks include the following:
- Advanced conference on managing disability insurance claims and litigation, Canadian Institute, January 2016
- Legal update, Claim’s section competence, Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (CLHIA), May 2015
- “Judicial remedies: How to navigate the system and prepare your case!” April 2015
- “Insurance fraud: How to beat it!” Journée de l’Assurance de dommages, March 2015
- Advanced conference on managing disability insurance claims and litigation, Canadian Institute, January 2015
- “Practical impact of the latest decisions on punitive damages in civil law”, Conference on disability insurance claims and litigation management, Canadian Institute, January 2014
Professional and community activities
- Board of directors of the Canadian Pension & Benefits Institute (CPBI), 2004-2008
- Board of directors and Ethics committee of an insurance company
- Board of directors and Causes committee of the Fondation Noël au printemps (FNAP), 2010-2012
- Université Laval, LL.B., 1991
- Université Laval, B.Sc. in actuarial science, 1988
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1993
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Montreal Association of Insurance Women (MAIW)
- Institut d'assurance de dommages du Québec (IADQ)
- Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal
- Women's Executive Network (WXN)
- Canadian Pension & Benefits Institute (CPBI)
- Association of Quebec Women in Finance (AQWF)
Publications by Evelyne Verrier
- Evelyne Verrier and Jean Martel