Schachter, Q.C., Ad.E.
Raphaël H. Schachter, Q.C., Ad.E.
Raphaêl H. Schachter is a partner and practises exclusively in the areas of criminal law, penal law, and the penal aspects of competition law. He served as Quebec Crown prosecutor from 1969 to 1972 and as federal Crown prosecutor from 1972 to 1976. He has appeared before the courts of every level in Canada, including on numerous occasions the Supreme Court of Canada.
Appointed Queen's Counsel in 1986 and inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in 1994, Mr. Schachter was president of the Quebec section of the American College of Trial Lawyers from 2006 to 2008. He was awarded the Lawyer Emeritus distinction by the Barreau du Québec in 2011and is listed in the 2016 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada under criminal law.
Mr. Schachter was senior partner in the law firm Lapointe, Schachter, Champagne and Talbot. He then joined Lavery, de Billy as partner and created the first criminal and penal law group at the service of corporations in a major Quebec law firm.
Mr. Schachter published an article on criminal law ethics in a textbook titled Taking the Law Into Your Own Hands: Child Abduction and the Defence of Necessity, one of eight texts penned by lawyers who had lectured at the University of Windsor Law Faculty in the previous eight years.
Mr. Schachter has established an endowment fund and an annual scholarship in criminal law at Université de Montréal, his alma mater.
Mr. Schachter was named 2014 Montréal Lawyer of the Year in the area of penal law by Best Lawyers.
- Served as counsel in the public inquiry on Somalia, the Poitras Commission, and the Gomery Commission.
Professional and community activities
- Counsel for the Murdered or Missing Persons' Families' Association
- Board of governors of the Leave Out Violence (LOVE) non-profit organization
- President of the criminal law section of the Canadian Bar Association (Quebec division) (1 984 to 1988)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and president of the Quebec division (2006-2008)
- Lord Reading Law Society (president 1986-1987)
- Université de Montréal, LL.L. 1967
- Concordia University, B.A., 1963
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1968
Lavery at a glance
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. More than 200 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in more than 115 countries.