Areas of practice
Richard Burgos is a member of the firm's Business law group in the Montréal office, to which he contributes his extensive experience in commercial and corporate law, finance and real estate.
Mr. Burgos advises businesses of all sizes on a broad range of legal matters and commercial transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, financings, venture capital deals, corporate reorganizations and shareholders' agreements. He has negotiated and completed numerous transactions in various economic sectors including food, paper, manufacturing, brokerage, telecommunications and retail. He also has vast experience in the negotiation and drafting of licence, distribution, joint venture and service agreements.
He acts for owners, purchasers and financial institutions in connection with sales, acquisitions and financings of real estate, including drafting and negotiating purchase, sale, loan and security agreements in addition to conducting due diligence reviews. He also represents landlords and tenants in matters relating to commercial leasing. He regularly acts for one of Canada's largest real estate investment trusts in connection with its acquisitions and financings in Québec.
Mr. Burgos also represents both borrowers and lenders in various financing and banking transactions such as those involving term and operating loans, for which he negotiates and drafts the loan and security agreements. He has advised on and negotiated restructurings and sales of businesses and assets in the context of insolvency.
Professional and community activities
- Member of several organizations having an interest in the financing of businesses and real estate
- Former lecturer in business law at Concordia University
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Corporate Law, 2018
- LL. M., London School of Economics, 1988
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1985
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1986
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Urban Development Institute
- Réseau Capital
Publications by Richard Burgos
- Richard Burgos
News/Press release by Richard Burgos
- Pierre-L. Baribeau , Josianne Beaudry , René Branchaud , Jules Brière , Richard Burgos , Marie-Claude Cantin , Louis Charette , Eugene Czolij , Pierre Denis , Norman A. Dionne , Raymond Doray , Louis-Martin Dubé , Nicolas Gagnon , Michel Gélinas , Caroline Harnois , Jean Hébert , Richard A. Hinse , Pierre Marc Johnson , Nadine Landry , Bernard Larocque , Guy Lavoie , Jean Legault , Guy Lemay , Jean Martel , Patrick A. Molinari , Philip Nolan , Luc Pariseau , Jacques Paul-Hus , Louis Payette , Elisabeth Pinard , Sylvain Poirier , François Renaud , Marc Rochefort , Ian Rose , Raphaël H. Schachter , Jean-Yves Simard , Gerald Stotland , Philippe Tremblay , Jean-Philippe Turgeon , André Vautour and Yanick Vlasak