Ms. Caroline Harnois is a member of the Family law, Personal law and Estate law team. Her practice is focused on all aspects of family and estate law, which comprises private international family law, including international child abduction.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Harnois worked as a lawyer with the Children, Person and Family Law team at The Hague Conference on Private International Law in the Netherlands, where she developed an expertise in extraterritorial conflicts and the application of international conventions, in particular regarding international child abduction, recovery of maintenance abroad, intercountry adoption and international protection of children and vulnerable adults.
During her last years with this international organization, Ms. Harnois took part in international negotiations meetings, organized and conducted training sessions for lawyers, judges, civil servants and representatives of other international organizations, and worked towards the implementation of conventions. She was also invited in several countries as a guest lecturer in her areas of practice.
Ms. Harnois also practised in the public international law field at the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons in The Hague and did her articling in family law with a Montréal firm.
Ms. Harnois has written several articles on family law including La Convention de La Haye du 25 octobre 1980 sur l’enlèvement international d’enfants : la nécessité d’agir de façon rapide et efficace and Débiteurs alimentaires récalcitrants à vos gardes, la planète rétrécit respectively published in Les Développement récents en droit familial of 2008 and 2010. She has also appeared as a guest lecturer at the Quebec Bar Continuing Education Workshops.
Professional and community activities
- Vice President of the Children and Youth law section of the Canadian Bar Association, Québec Division
- Member of the Family Law, Elder Law, Will, Estates and Trusts, and International Law Sections of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Association des avocats et avocates en droit de la famille du Québec
- Association internationale francophone des intervenants auprès des familles séparées (AIFI)
- Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL)
- Volonteer at the SAGE (Service d’avocats de garde en matière familiale)
- President of the Board of Directors of the Centre de la Petite-Enfance La Garde-Amis
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Family Law, 2018
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of Family Law, 2018
- Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL), 2016
- YBAM Gala The leaders of tomorrow in the category YBAM lawyer of the year in family law, 2010 and 2009
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2000
- Member of the Barreau du Québec
Publications by Caroline Harnois
- Caroline Harnois
News/Press release by Caroline Harnois
- Pierre-L. Baribeau , René Branchaud , Richard Burgos , Louis Charette , Pierre Denis , Michel Desrosiers , Norman A. Dionne , Louis-Martin Dubé , Nicolas Gagnon , Michel Gélinas , Caroline Harnois , Bernard Larocque , Guy Lavoie , Josiane L'Heureux , Louis Payette , Elisabeth Pinard , Gerald Stotland , Jean-Philippe Turgeon , André Vautour and Sébastien Vézina