Areas of practice
Jean-Sébastien Desroches is the firm’s practice leader for the Business Law Group, comprising notably the M&A, securities, financing, real estate and tax teams.
Jean-Sébastien focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions, infrastructure and project development, commercial law as well as strategic partnerships.
Jean-Sébastien Desroches is particularly interested in artificial intelligence (AI) projects and in their legal ramifications, notably as to the various branches and applications of artificial intelligence in businesses and industries. He created the Lavery Lab on Artificial Intelligence to analyze and monitor recent and anticipated developments in this field from a legal perspective.
He has had the opportunity to steer several major transactions - complex legal operations, reorganizations, cross-border transactions as well as local and foreign investments - on behalf of Canadian, U.S., European and international corporations in the manufacturing, transportation, pharmaceutical, financial, and energy sectors.
He represents entrepreneurs developing and implementing commercial projects, international expansion, partnerships and joint ventures. He also advises clients on private equity, venture capital, investments and business transfers.
Jean-Sébastien also represents boards of directors, management teams, and shareholders in a variety of transactions and operations.
- Represent the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec with respect to private placements and equity investments in WSP Global Inc.
- Represent Total S.A. in the acquisition of assets from Ultramar Inc. and Tribospec Inc.
- Act for Héroux-Devtek Inc. and its subsidiaries in the acquisition of UK-based APPH Limited and US-based APPH Wichita, Inc., subsidiaries of BBA Aviation Plc, and the acquisition of U.S.-based Eagle Tools & Machine Co. and E2 Precision Products
- Act for Lallemand Inc. and its affiliates in the implementation of a cooperation agreement with BrettYoung Seeds Limited and the acquisition of an organic products portfolio and with respect to the acquisition of Harmonium International Inc.
- Represent Hutchinson S.A. in the acquisition of Marquez Transtech Ltd.
- Act for Stornoway Diamonds Inc. in setting up its Plan Nord infrastructure project and partnership with the Québec government for the construction and maintenance of the Route 167 Extension to the Otish Mountains
- Represent CDP Investments Inc. and the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in connection with the sale of equity stakes in ACH Limited Partnership and Abitibi-Consolidated Hydro Inc.
- Represent Trencap L.P. in the acquisition of equity interests held by GDF Suez in Noverco Inc. (Gaz Metro)
- Act for the Société de transport de l'Outaouais in the acquisition and implementation of the Rapibus infrastructure network
- Act for Confab Laboratories Inc. in connection with transactions with Roundtable Healthcare Partners LP and DPT Laboratories Ltd. (USA)
- Represent Industrial-Alliance with respect to the acquisition of National Warranties MRWV Limited
- Represent UAP Inc. in the acquisition of Uni-Select Inc.'s Palmar Division
- Represent the Quebec Railway Corporation Inc. in multi-party transactions for the sale of businesses involving Canadian National Railway Inc., Groupe Le Massif Inc., and Logistec Corporation
- Represent V Interactions Inc. in the acquisition of Groupe TQS and television networks
- Represent a major Canadian engineering firm regarding the implementation of private-public partnerships in Canada for the construction, management, and maintenance of hydroelectric power plants
- Act for Zimmer Holdings Inc. in the acquisition of ORTHOsoft Inc. by way of a takeover bid
- Acted for Activision Inc. with respect to the acquisition of Beenox Inc.
- Act for Sabex Inc. with respect to its acquisition by Sandoz Canada Inc.
- Act for various investment funds and venture capital corporations regarding the acquisition of equity stakes in various Canadian corporations
- Named “Corporate Lawyer to Watch” in the 2013 Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada
- Named one of the “Top 40 Under 40” in Canada by Lexpert, December 2012
- "The Supreme Court of Canada Renders a Decision on Restrictive Covenants Contained in an Asset Sale Agreement," In Fact and in Law Express
- Financing Growth through Venture Capital, Master’s thesis
- Corporate law course, Association de planification fiscal et financière (APFF)
- "Five Common Mistakes in International Joint Ventures," International Bar Association (North American Regional Forum News)
- Strategic Partnerships and Joint Ventures, presentation given to the Chief Executive Officers Alliance (Québec)
- "M&A Trends for 2013 in Canada," International Bar Association (North American Regional Forum News)
- Financing Growth through Strategic International Joint Ventures, Training sessions, Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montréal
- Negotiating Letters of Intention and Letters of Offer, numerous presentations given to the professional orders of accountants, Montréal divisions
- Negotiating Agreements with International Corporations, Insight Institute Conference
- The Private and Public Call for Tenders Process, Lavery Conferences
- Numerous talks on business transfers to family member
- North American Common Law Courses, Université de Montréal, 2002
- LL.M. in Business Law, Université Laval, 2000
- Canadian Securities Course, Canadian Securities Institute
- Derivatives Fundamentals Course, Canadian Securities Institute
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1997
- European Union Law, Université de Nice, France (UFC), 1996
- Certificate in Political Science, Université de Montréal, 1994
- Member of the Barreau du Québec
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Chief Executive Officers Alliance
- Member of the Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréés
Publications by Jean-Sébastien Desroches
- Jean-Sébastien Desroches and Shan Jiang