Brigitte M. Gauthier is a partner in the Financing and Financial services group. She advises Canadian and foreign financial institutions as well as borrowers in various industries on all aspects of debt financing, including syndicated loans, real estate financing, project financing, securitization and banking.
Ms. Gauthier also has considerable experience in the area of consumer law, in particular federal and provincial consumer protection and cost of borrowing legislation. She works closely with financial institutions and other lenders to structure consumer lending programs and advises them on putting these programs in place in their network.
Ms. Gauthier’s experience enables her to manage complex transactions for her clients in finance-related areas such as real estate matters and bankruptcy and restructuring matters, particularly those involving debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing.
Ms. Gauthier also represents one of Canada’s largest charitable foundations and handles numerous investment transactions, strategic partnerships and donations on its behalf.
- Acted as counsel for Québec for the new financial services arm of major car manufacturers as part of the securitization of their receivables and the implementation of asset-based credit facilities
- Acted as counsel for Québec for the purchaser of the assets of a company specialized in prefabricated structures that had placed itself under the protection of the Companies' Creditors Arrangements Act, including in connection with the transfer of real estate properties, the setting up of new credit facilities and the granting of security
- Legal advisor to one of the investors in a wind farm operator during negotiations with respect to the operator’s syndicated financing and the granting of security by said investor
- Legal advisor to the lender in connection with the implementation of credit facilities in favour of an international fashion retailer
- Legal advisor to the lender in connection with credit facilities in favour of a joint venture in the construction industry, including the taking of security in various provinces
- Legal advisor to the lender in connection with the financing of a professional sports team and its operators, including the taking of security over sports facilities
- Acts as legal advisor to a major water bottler in all aspects of its business, including in connection with its asset-based financing
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1995
- Member of the Barreau du Québec
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Association of Quebec Women in Finance
Publications by Brigitte Gauthier
- Guillaume Lavoie and Brigitte Gauthier