Gerald Stotland practises law in both Québec and Ontario. His practice covers all aspects of family law. He frequently acts as a legal advisor to other lawyers and accountants to resolve family law issues relating to the financial planning of both businesses and individuals.
Mr. Stotland is recognized internationally by his peers and by the Québec judiciary as a skillful strategist and pleader, particularly for having successfully argued a number of high-profile cases.
He has authored several articles for the Quebec Bar's Continuing Education Program, the Canadian Family Law Quarterly, the American Journal of Family Law and Evidence in Family Law (Canada).
He lectures frequently for the Quebec Bar, the Canadian Bar Association, the Bar of Montréal, the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators (Québec), The Canadian Institute, the American Bar Association, the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, the National Judicial Institute, the National Family Law Program, the Lord Reading Law Society, the Accountants Study Group, and the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Mr. Stotland has been steadfast in his support of the legal profession through his work on behalf of the Montréal Bar and the Quebec Bar both as a member of council and chair of several committees.
Professional and community activities
- Former president of the Jewish Rehabilitation Hospital
- Former president of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Canadian Chapter
- Former member of the Ethics Committee of the Jewish General Hospital
- Former President of the Family Law Section (Québec Branch) of the Canadian Bar Association
- Former member of the Community Relations Committee of the Canadian Jewish Congress
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Ville-Marie Social Services Centre
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Summit School
- Former chair of the Judicial Compensation Committee, Canadian Bar Association
- Certified mediator
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Family Law, 2018
- National Federation of Law Societies, LL.B. equivalent, 1998
- LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1970
- B.A., Sir George Williams University, 1967
- Certificate in Family Law Arbitration, University of Waterloo
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1971
- Family Mediation Training (Florida) 2011
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Law Society of Upper Canada (since 1998)
- Bar of Québec City
- Association des avocats et avocates en droit familial du Québec
- American Bar Association
- Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Family Law Roundtable (USA)
Publications by Gerald Stotland
- Gerald Stotland
News/Press release by Gerald Stotland
- Pierre-L. Baribeau , Josianne Beaudry , René Branchaud , Jules Brière , Richard Burgos , Marie-Claude Cantin , Louis Charette , Eugene Czolij , Pierre Denis , Norman A. Dionne , Raymond Doray , Louis-Martin Dubé , Nicolas Gagnon , Michel Gélinas , Caroline Harnois , Jean Hébert , Richard A. Hinse , Pierre Marc Johnson , Bernard Larocque , Guy Lavoie , Jean Legault , Guy Lemay , Jean Martel , Patrick A. Molinari , Philip Nolan , Luc Pariseau , Jacques Paul-Hus , Louis Payette , Elisabeth Pinard , Sylvain Poirier , François Renaud , Marc Rochefort , Ian Rose , Raphaël H. Schachter , Jean-Yves Simard , Gerald Stotland , Philippe Tremblay , Jean-Philippe Turgeon , André Vautour and Yanick Vlasak