LAVERY IS ALSO...
Bernard Larocque's practice is focused on civil litigation, including libel, insurance law, professional liability and commercial litigation. He frequently appears before the courts.
He is a regular speaker on various subjects, including insurance law, liability, and civil procedure. He is also a certified trainer for the Damage Insurance Institute of Quebec.
Mr. Larocque is also listed in the 2013 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading practitioner in the fields of Class Action Litigation and Insurance Law.
- Represented an international engineering consulting firm in a billion dollar class action regarding contaminated soils.
- Represented a major law firm in professional liability proceedings regarding a distribution of securities to the public.
- Represented several insurance companies in litigation relating to tens of millions of dollars in damages as a result of floodings occurring in several municipalities.
- Represented a major Crown Corporation in litigation involving several millions of dollars against the manufacturer of sophisticated machinery.
- Acted as plaintiff or defence counsel on behalf of many media businesses in the context of libel litigation.
- Les montants de rétention « self-insured retention » : quelle est leur étendue en droit civil québécois ? [Self insured retention amounts: what is their scope in civil law?], Louis Charette and Bernard Larocque, Développements récents en droit des assurances, Barreau du Québec, Éditions Yvon Blais, vol. 337.
- The Court of Appeal authorizes an insurer to institute a subrogatory recourse as a preventive measure, In Fact and In Law, Bernard Larocque and Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin, June 2009.
- Liability Insurance and Reconstituted Families: Where Does the Court of Appeal Stand, In Fact and In Law, Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin and Bernard Larocque, December 2009.
- The Chicken, the Egg, the Producer - the Quebec Court of Appeal Knows Which Came First!, Bernard Larocque, In Fact and In Law, June 2008.
- Les montants de rétention « self-insured retention » : quelle est leur étendue en droit civil québécois ?, Louis Charette and Bernard Larocque Conference on Recent Developments in Insurance Law, Montreal, May 27, 2011.
- Les clauses contractuelles essentielles de l’industrie de la protection contre l’incendie [The essential contractual clauses of the fire protection industry], Bernard Larocque and Louis Charette, Canadian Fire Alarm Associatione (CFAA), Montreal, February 3, 2011.
- Déclaration initiale de risque : le questionnaire scruté à la loupe [Initial declaration of risk: the questionnaire is scrutinized], Martin Pichette and Bernard Larocque, The Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association (CICMA), October 20, 2010.
- Camp d’entraînement pour les avocats de litige [Training camp for litigators], Odette Jobin-Laberge and Bernard Larocque, The Canadian Institute, October 19, 2010.
- Les clauses d’assurance et de limitation de responsabilité dans les baux commerciaux [The insurance and limitation of liability clauses in commercial leases], Lavery symposium, Bernard Larocque and Louis Charette, March 18, 2010.
- Revue de la jurisprudence 2009 en droit des assurances [Review of the 2009 case law respecting insurance], The Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association, Bernard Larocque, February 17, 2010.
- Rétrospective de la jurisprudence 2009 en droit des assurances [Retrospective of the 2009 case law respecting insurance], Lavery, Bernard Larocque and Jean Bélanger, January 26 and 27, 2010.
- Déclaration initiale de risque : le questionnaire scruté à la loupe, RBC Insurance, Bernard Larocque and Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin, January 13, 2010.
- La responsabilité du fabricant et du vendeur [Product Liability], Bernard Larocque, Louis Charette and Dina Raphaël, Lavery training, October 22, 2008.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Board of directors (Member and President) of GEIPSI (community organization) (2002-2009)
- Member of the Board of directors of ProBono Québec (2010-2011)
- Treasurer of ProBono Québec (2011-)
- Member of the Approval and Referral Committee of ProBono Québec (2009 -)
- Member of the Board of directors of Théâtre I.N.K. (2009 -2012)
- Member of the task force on the Best Practices Guide of the Quebec Bar (2011-2012)
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Information and Privacy Law
In Fact and in Law Express - To What Extent are Insurers Required to Cover Premises where Criminal Activities are Conducted?
In Fact and in Law Express - The insurer's duty to defend and indemnify: a new judgment of the Quebec Court of Appeal
In Fact and in Law Express - Professional liability insurance and gross fault: the Court of Appeal sings a different tune (new version)
LAVERY AT A GLANCE
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. 175 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in 120 countries.