LAVERY IS ALSO...
Gerald Stotland practises law in both Quebec and Ontario. His practice covers all aspects of family law. He frequently acts as a legal advisor to other lawyers and accountants to resolve family law issues relating to the financial planning of both businesses and individuals.
Mr. Stotland is recognized internationally by his peers and by the Quebec judiciary as a skillful strategist and pleader, particularly for having successfully argued a number of high-profile cases.
He has authored several articles for the Quebec Bar's Continuing Education Program, the Canadian Family Law Quarterly, the American Journal of Family Law and Evidence in Family Law (Canada).
He is qualified to arbitrate family law disputes in the province of Ontario, and has acquired the necessary skills to act as a mediator in both Ontario and Florida.
He lectures frequently for the Quebec Bar, the Canadian Bar Association, the Bar of Montreal, the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators (Quebec), The Canadian Institute, the American Bar Association, the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, the National Judicial Institute, the National Family Law Program, the Lord Reading Law Society, the Accountants Study Group, and the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Mr. Stotland has been steadfast in his support of the legal profession through his work on behalf of the Montreal Bar and the Quebec Bar both as a member of council and chair of several committees.
He is listed in the publication Best Lawyers in the area of family law in Canada.
Professional and community activities
- Former president of the Jewish Rehabilitation Hospital
- Former president of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Canadian Chapter
- Former member of the Ethics Committee of the Jewish General Hospital
- Former President of the Family Law Section (Quebec Branch) of the Canadian Bar Association
- Former member of the Community Relations Committee of the Canadian Jewish Congress
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Ville-Marie Social Services Centre
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Summit School
- Past chair of the Judicial Compensation Committee, Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada (since 1998)
- Bar of Quebec City
- Canadian Bar Association
- Association des avocats et avocates en droit familial du Québec
- American Bar Association
- Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Family Law Roundtable (USA)
LAVERY AT A GLANCE
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. 175 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in 120 countries.