LAVERY IS ALSO...
Guillaume Lavoie practises in corporate law, securities and mergers and acquisitions. He acts as a legal advisor to various Canadian and foreign corporations in connection with asset purchases and sales and the acquisition of public and private corporations. He also represents issuers and underwriters in relation to corporate financing transactions, including public offerings and private placements. In particular, he recently had the opportunity to become familiar with the application of U.S. securities regulations to cross-border transactions involving Canadian issuers.
In addition, Mr. Lavoie has experience in public-private partnership projects and energy and infrastructure projects.
He has also advised Canadian issuers and their boards of directors on corporate governance issues and advises some clients on competition law, foreign investment and regulatory matters.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Participated in the acquisition, by a group of investors led by the Molson Brothers, of the Montreal Canadiens, the Bell Centre and related corporations.
- Quebec counsel to OMERS Private Equity for the acquisition of all the outstanding shares of common stock of Logibec Groupe Informatique Ltd. for an approximate consideration of C$235.5 million.
- Represented Investissement Québec in connection with the sale of half of its interest in the Alouette aluminum smelter to Marubeni Corporation for a total approximate amount of US$180 million.
- Advised Lallemand, a Canadian private corporation specialized in the research, development, production, marketing and distribution of yeasts and bacteria, regarding its acquisition of Harmonium International, a manufacturer of complex probiotic formulations and lactic cultures.
- Advised AECOM Technology with respect to the acquisition of RSW, a Montreal-based engineering firm.
- Completed the acquisition by Industrial Alliance Pacific Insurance and Financial Services of the private corporation, National Warranties MRWV.
- Represented TenCate Protective Fabrics Americas for the acquisition by it of certain assets of the Difco Performance Fabrics operating unit of Polymer Group.
- Advised Industrial Alliance, Insurance and Financial Services on various public offerings of preferred shares, debentures and common shares for total gross proceeds of more than C$700 million.
- Advised a syndicate of agents with respect to public offerings by Gaz Métro Limited Partnership of first mortgage bonds totalling more than C$250 million.
- Advised the underwriters regarding public offerings by the Cominar Real Estate Investment Trust of shares and convertible unsecured subordinated debentures for total gross proceeds, over several years, of more than C$1.2 billion.
- Private placements on behalf of a large mining company.
Private financing of projects
- Created a private investment fund for investment in infrastructure projects in connection with several public-private partnerships and completed closed subscriptions in the capital of the fund totalling C$460 million.
- Created Eolectric Club, a private investment fund in wind energy projects and completed the private equity financing of the Vents du Kempt project, a 101.2 MW wind-energy project in the Matapédia region of Quebec representing a total construction cost of approximately C$340 million.
Publications, works and presentations
- Co-author of the Manuel de droit de la concurrence (Les Éditions Yvon Blais Inc., 2004), which was awarded the "Répertoire" prize by the Quebec Bar Foundation.
- Author of a day-long training course sponsored by the Montreal Mayor's Foundation on differences in the provisions of shareholder agreements of start-up companies (Montreal, June 2012).
- Author of an article entitled "La convention entre actionnaires: le cahier de charges de l’actionnaire de société fermée" published in the Industrie & Commerce magazine, March-April 2011 edition.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Young Bar Association of Montreal
- Junior Chamber of Commerce of Montreal (JCCM)
- McGill University, B.C.L., LL.B., 2006 (with distinction) (was awarded the Gerald S. Tritt, Q.C. prize for achieving the highest mark in special contracts)
- University of Houston (Texas), courses in antitrust law and regulatory matters (exchange program), 2004
- Member of Quebec Bar since 2007
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Competition and Antitrust Law
Ratio - Quarterly legal newsletter intended for accounting, management, and finance professionals, Number 15
Lavery BUSINESS - Legal newsletter for business entrepreneurs and executives, Number 10
LAVERY AT A GLANCE
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. 175 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in 120 countries.