LAVERY IS ALSO...
Jean Martel practises mainly in the field of financial law — securities, corporate financing, regulation and governance of financial institutions, financial services and securities markets — on the national and international scenes. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Martel held several strategic positions.
From 1981 to 1988, he headed the legal services department of the Ministère des Finances du Québec, where he worked on the loans contracted by Quebec on world markets and developed his expertise in bank financing and bonds.
As Assistant Deputy Minister of Finance for the Province of Quebec from 1988 to 1994, Mr. Martel was responsible for the process of developing public policy and legislation pertaining to financial institutions, market intermediation, financial services and labor-sponsored investment funds.
He was the Chairman and CEO of the Quebec Securities Commission from 1995 to 1999. He played an active role in the work of the Canadian Securities Administrators forum and the Technical Committee of the International Organization of Securities Commissions, a supranational standard-setting organization of which he was the Vice-Chair in 1998-99.
Professional and community activities
- Member of the Board of directors of the Business Development Bank of Canada
- Member of the Board of directors of TMX Group Inc.
- Member of the Board of directors of TSX Inc. (Toronto Stock Exchange)
- Member of the Board of directors of the TSX Venture Exchange
- Member of the Board of directors of the Bourse de Montréal
- Chair of the Independent Review Committee of the Quebec Bar’s investment funds
- Chair of the Rules and Policies Committee of the Bourse de Montréal, the Canadian market for derivatives
- Former member of the Board of the Investment Dealers Association of Canada
- Former member of the Board of Market Regulation Services Inc
- Former member of the Board of State Street Global Advisors, Ltd.
- Former member of the Board of the Québec Deposit Insurance Board
- Former member of the Board of the Motor Vehicle Insurers Group
AREAS OF PRACTICE
In Fact and in Law Express - Supervising the Use of Social Networking Websites by Financial Sector Intermediaries
LAVERY AT A GLANCE
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. 175 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in 120 countries.