LAVERY IS ALSO...
Michel Servant is a member of the firm’s Business Law Group. He specializes in securities law and mergers and acquisitions, and his practice involves both domestic and international transactions. He also provides general corporate advice to various issuers.
Mr. Servant has broad experience in public and private financings, takeover bids, listing of companies on stock exchanges, acquisitions and sales of businesses, the negotiation and drafting of various commercial agreements, and the regulatory issues related to the public distribution of financial products.
- Counsel to a life and health insurance company in connection with a CAN $100,000,000 public offering of Non-Cumulative 5-Year Rate Reset Class A Preferred Shares Series C.
- Counsel to the syndicate of dealers in connection with a CAN $150,000,000 public offering of 5.40% Series L First Mortgage Bonds by a leading Quebec energy company and one of Canada's largest natural gas distributors.
- Counsel to the independent committee of the board of directors of a property and casualty insurance company in connection with its privatization by its controlling shareholder.
- Counsel to the underwriters in a CAN $110,000,000 public offering of 5.80 % convertible unsecured subordinated debentures by a major real estate investment trust.
- Counsel to a telecommunications company in connection with its initial public offering of CAN $22,000,000.
- Counsel to a public company in connection with the acquisition of an operating mining company based in China.
- Counsel to a major financial institution in connection with the execution of various commercial agreements.
- Counsel to the selling majority shareholders of a listed issuer in the context of a plan of arrangement under the Canada Business Corporations Act.
- Private placements for a major mining company.
- Counsel to a supplier of high technology parts for the communications industry in the context of venture capital financings.
- Counsel to the underwriters in a CAN $140,000,000 secondary offering of a pulp and paper company.
- Counsel to a telecommunications company in connection with public and private equity or debt offerings totaling more than CAN $500,000,000.
- Counsel to the promoter of a group savings plan for the offering of its financial products.
- Structuring the distribution of financial products of an investment fund.
- Counsel to the special committee of a public company established to evaluate strategic alternatives, including merger or sale of the company.
- Sale of the French subsidiary of a public company to an American group for an amount of US $48,150,000.
Professional and Community Activities
- President of the organizing committee of the Réseau HEC Montréal’s Prix Relève d'Excellence from 2006 to 2009. The Prix Relève d'Excellence is awarded as part of a competition that highlights the professional success of HEC Montréal graduates aged 35 years or under.
- Member of the organizing committee of the Réseau HEC Montréal’s Prix Relève d'Excellence 2005.
- Member of the firm’s recruiting committee.
LAVERY AT A GLANCE
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. 175 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in 120 countries.