LAVERY IS ALSO...
LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT
We have represented the interests of employers for over 40 years. The skills and credibility of our lawyers are widely recognized in the fields of Labour and Employment Law, both at the provincial and federal levels. Lavery is recommended by The Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory.
- Strategic advice
- Negotiation of collective agreements
- Grievance and dispute arbitration
- Litigation of penal complaints
- Mediation of every type
- Dismissal and termination of employment
- Extraordinary remedies, judicial review, injunctions
- Human rights and freedoms
- Pay equity and employment equity programs
- Representation in all matters pertaining to union certification
- Work attendance management
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Management of employment injury files
- Conciliation regarding industrial accident files
- Representation before the courts
- Other types of employment contracts
Including artist contracts under the Act respecting the professional status and conditions of engagement of performing, recording and film artists
When litigation becomes unavoidable, our team of experienced trial lawyers can provide you with timely representation in accordance with your internal policies.
Advice to Managers
- We provide support to your managers with respect to any general issue pertaining to applicable labour relations and occupational health and safety laws and principles
- We provide support to your managers in the administration of your collective agreements
- We analyze the financial and organizational impact of your managers' decisions respecting labour relations
- We analyze the financial issues pertaining to CSST files, including the financial impact for the organization and requests for apportionment of imputation under the Act
- We inform managers of the most recent developments in the fields of labour relations and occupational health and safety on an ongoing basis
- We provide personalized training to your managers with respect to any amendments to relevant laws, according to their needs and those of your organization
LAVERY AT A GLANCE
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. More than 200 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in more than 115 countries.
LATEST PUBLICATIONS ON THIS AREA OF PRACTICE
Need to Know - Serious breaches of the duty of loyalty by a human resources employee – Dismissal upheld by the C.R.T.
Need to Know - Heavy burden for employers respecting mitigation of damages for lost salary: following dismissal, an employee who makes no effort to mitigate his damages may still be entitled to an indemnity
Need to Know Express - Employees and the Cost of Justice: The Court of Appeal of Québec concludes that a complaint pursuant to section 124 of the Act Respecting Labour Standards (the Act) is admissible despite the existence of an internal arbitration procedure