Luc R. Borduas is a partner of the firm and he devotes his practice to corporate law, including mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and joint ventures in the fields of pharmaceuticals, intellectual property, as well as domestic and international trade. Mr. Borduas represents many national, international, and regional companies active in the manufacturing, commercial, and services sectors, including venture capital firms.
Mr. Borduas also represents universities and university health centres in several areas, particularly that of university - industry research partnerships. Mr. Borduas is also a mediator in commercial matters accredited by the Barreau du Québec.
A sought-after speaker, Mr. Borduas has presented many papers before a wide range of audiences. In addition, he has represented the Sherbrooke region before government bodies, including the Commission nationale sur l'avenir du Québec, the Commission sur la réforme de la fiscalité des finances publiques, and the Commission parlementaire portant sur l'implication de l'État québécois dans le financement de l'innovation.
Mr. Borduas has acquired vast experience in the pharmaceutical sector, where he acted as counsel and secretary-general to the Essaim pharmacy chain from its founding in 1979 to its merger with the Obonsoins chain in 2004 to create a single chain under the Proxim banner. He also represents numerous pharmacies and pharmacists in various transactions and partnership projects and advises them on the regulatory aspects of the sale of pharmaceuticals.
Mr. Borduas has also developed expertise in the areas of partnerships and joint ventures, particularly in the field of university-industry research collaboration. He acted as legal counsel to the Université de Sherbrooke and the Centre hospitalier universitaire de Sherbrooke in connection with the setting up of the MSBI Investment Fund and the MSBI Investment Fund II, venture capital firms created to develop and commercialize the results of university research.
Mr. Borduas also represented the Université de Sherbrooke in connection with a unique collaborative research project between Université de Sherbrooke and Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP). He helped develop the concept and create the Centre de technologies avancées BRP-Université de Sherbrooke, of which he is the corporate secretary. He has also been involved in other institutional and collaborative research projects, including the Novare project, where he represented the interests of Université Laval, the project to manufacture medical isotopes at the Centre hospitalier universitaire de Sherbrooke, and other similar projects.
Mr. Borduas regularly represents the interests of clients in mergers and acquisitions, an area where he has acquired extensive expertise and has acted for clients in a wide range of fields, including the manufacturing, services, and institutional sectors. He acted as counsel in the merger of the engineering firm Teknika HBA (almost 800 employees) with the consulting engineering firm Trow Global Holdings Inc. (more than 1,000 employees). He was also involved in the acquisition of ADI engineering, a company headquartered in Fredericton, New Brunswick, with several offices in the Maritimes. In addition, he took part in the merger of Fontaine Industries Ltd. with the Rexnord group.
Mr. Borduas also acts as counsel to Université de Sherbrooke in connection with a major partnership agreement between IBM Canada and Teledyne DALSA to create a research centre that is unique in Canada: the MiQro Innovation Collaborative Centre, whose mandate is to carry out collaborative research initiatives with industrial, economic, and institutional scientists to develop technologies for the microelectronics industry in key IT research areas.
Mr. Borduas' professional ability and high ethical standings have earned him the BV rating, one of the highest awarded by Martindale-Hubbell.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Corporate Law since 2020
- LL.L., Université de Sherbrooke, 1978
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Fiscal and Financial Planning Association
- Was part of the Board of Directors of the firm (Lavery Lawyers), 2018 to 2020
- Secretary-general, Groupe Essaim (Essaim pharmacy chain) (1987 to 2004)
- Chair, board of directors, La Fondation de l'Université de Sherbrooke (since 2004)
- Corporate secretary, Centre de technologies avancées BRP-Université de Sherbrooke (since 2007)
- Member, board of directors, Fonds régional de solidarité Estrie (since 2008)
- Member, board of governors, Canada Summer Games, Sherbrooke, 2013
- Secretary and member, board of directors, Alliance Novare
- Member, board of directors, Orford Arts Centre (2003-2004)
- Secretary and member, board of directors, Québec-New England Cross-Border Forum (2004-2006)
- President, Chambre de commerce de la région sherbrookoise (1995-1996)
- Chair, board of directors, Chambre de commerce de la région sherbrookoise (1996-1999)
- President, Forum des gens d'affaires (1994)
- Co-Chair, Comité innovation, financement et capital de risque of the Chambre de commerce de la région sherbrookoise (2005)
- President, Fonds du Patrimoine estrien (1987-1989)
- Certified mediator