Jean-Philippe Joyal is a member of the Business Law group. He practices in the area of securities law, financial services, private equity and the regulation and governance of financial institutions.
He works regularly with investment funds (private equity, venture capital and hedge funds) in their fundraising efforts and investments. He also assists Canadian public and private companies with corporate financing, including public offerings and private investments.
Mr. Joyal also advises financial institutions, insurance companies and self-regulatory organizations on regulatory matters.
From 2014 to 2016, Me Joyal was employed as legal counsel at the Montreal Exchange where he revised the rules on derivatives trading. Previously, he worked at the Autorité des marchés financiers as a corporate finance securities analyst.
After completing law school at the Université de Sherbrooke, Me Joyal obtained a Master in Banking and Financial Law from Boston University, where he studied hedge funds, project financing, fiduciary duties of fund managers and mergers and acquisitions of financial institutions.
- Member of Barreau du Québec since 2014
- Course in Macroeconomics, Harvard University, 2013
- LL.M., Banking and Financial Law, Boston University, 2013
- J.D., Université de Sherbrooke, 2011
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke, 2011
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Emerging Leaders Committee, Montreal Heart Institute Foundation, since 2016
- Member, Board of Directors, Memphremagog Conservation Inc., 2011 to 2014
- Young Bar of Montreal
- Young Canadians in Finance
Read the publication