Marie-France Dompierre is a partner in Lavery’s Business Law group. More specifically, she practises in the area of tax litigation and tax dispute resolution.
Her practice is concentrated on working with clients across a variety of industries to prevent, manage and resolve tax disputes involving the provincial and federal tax authorities. Marie-France has experience resolving disputes involving a broad range of tax issues and as such, has represented both individuals and corporations at every stage of a dispute from the audit and appeals level to litigating the proceeding before the Courts.
Marie-France has extensive trial and appellate advocacy experience having regularly appeared before the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Québec Court of Justice and the Québec Superior Court. She also helps clients resolve tax disputes prior to litigation by negotiating with tax authorities.
Prior to joining Lavery, Marie-France practised at a law firm affiliated with one of the worlds’ leading professional services firms. Before that, she was a counsel of the Department of Justice Canada where she represented the Canada Revenue Agency in tax appeals, and she worked as a crown prosecutor in the area of proceeds of crime and tax fraud in Montreal. She began her career as a law clerk with the Tax Court of Canada.
Marie-France also teaches at the Faculty of civil law of the University of Ottawa.
Publications and conference
Marie-France contributes to the tax community by way of articles and presentations on different taxation topics with the Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF), the association de planification fiscal et financière (APFF) and the Advocates’ Society.
- Masters Degree in Tax Law (LL.M.), Osgoode Hall Law School (York University, Toronto), 2013
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) (Honours),Ottawa University, 2008
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Law (LL.L.) (Honours), 2007
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Barreau du Québec (Québec Bar), 2010
- Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, 2010
- Member of the Taxation Committee of the Québec Bar
- Member of the CTF and copresident of the Tax Litigation Committee of the CTF
- Member of the APFF and member of the committee for the Tax Administration Conference
- Member-at-Large of the Tax Litigation Practice Group of the Advocates’ Society