Louis Charette is a partner and practises in civil and professional liability litigation, product liability, transportation law and infrastructure, and aviation law.
Mr. Charette defends manufacturers, distributors, and vendors. He also advises manufacturers in the implementation and management of recalls and on strategic and risk management issues. His expertise is sought after in complex litigation involving multiple defendants and jurisdictions and in class actions defence.
A graduate of McGill University, Mr. Charette was called to the Québec Bar in 1995 and to the Ontario Bar in 1998.
Mr. Charette has also been a lecturer in civil procedure at the McGill University Faculty of Law.
In September 2017, Mr. Charette was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Represented the interests of a dam owner in a class action following the Saguenay floods
- Represented a factory owner in proceedings alleging soil and water table contamination resulting from plant operations
- Represent the interests of professionals, including real estate agents, accountants, and engineers, in civil liability proceedings and before administration tribunals
- Represent manufacturers, distributors, and vendors in proceedings alleging design or manufacturing defects
- Represents manufacturers, distributors and vendors in cross-border litigation with respect to a variety of products
- Represent manufacturers in the implementation and management of recalls
- Represents the interests of air and road transportation stakeholders
- Represent the interests of insurance brokers as well as real estate agents and brokers in professional liability claims
- Canada country chair on the International committee of the Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Member of the Board of directors of Les Violons du Roy (2003 – 2009)
- Member of the National committee on ethics and professional issues of the Canadian Bar Association (2004 – 2006)
- Chair of the Executive committee of the Canadian Bar Association's Young lawyers' conference (2001 – 2002)
- Member of the Executive committee of the Canadian Bar Association's Young lawyers' conference (1998 – 2003)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the fields of Aviation and Transportation Law and Product Liability Law, since 2012
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Lawyer of the Year, Transportation Law, 2020
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, September 2017
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of litigation, and product liability, since 2015
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of aviation, since 2014
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of class actions, since 2020
- B.C.L. and LL.B, McGill University, 1994
- B.A., University of Western Ontario, 1990
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Ontario Bar since 1998
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1995
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel