Dominique Bélisle is a partner in our Business Law group. She was coordinator of the Business Law group from 2011 to June 2016 and head of the Financing group from 2007 to 2011. She focuses her practice primarily on transactional, commercial, real estate and corporate finance law.
With her diversified experience acquired over the years, she developed a keen interest in project development and project financing of large industrial and commercial projects.
Over the years, she has been called upon to represent companies, promoters, lending syndicates and investment funds, lending clients her expertise in syndicated and bridge financing as well as in acquisition transactions in the energy and natural resources industries, in particular. She has worked on cases involving private hydroelectric power plants, wind farms, gas and oil pipelines, quarries, open-pit mines, cement plants, real estate investment trusts (REITs), retirement homes, commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS), commercial condominiums, infrastructure projects, emphyteusis and right of superficies and projects held in public-private partnerships (PPPs).
She has used her project management training, negotiation skills and leadership abilities to successfully oversee major transactions and effectively manage work teams.
She is recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of Energy Law. In June 2015, she was named one of the top eight lawyers by Premières en Affaires magazine. Every year since 2005, she has received a “very high” rating in both legal ability and ethical standards by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings (BV Distinguished rating).
- Since 2013, she has been representing and acting as senior legal counsel for Symbio Infrastructure Limited Partnership and its subsidiaries, GNL Québec Inc. and Gazoduq Inc. In this role, she is involved in the development and financing aspects of the Energie Saguenay project to build a US$7 billion liquefied natural gas (LNG) export plant at the Port of Saguenay. In particular, she participated in the drafting and negotiation of the land option agreement with the Saguenay Port Authority and in the numerous legal opinions required at the different development milestones of the project. She is also involved in the implementation of the project’s legal, corporate and tax structure. She also acts as principal legal counsel to Symbio Infrastructure LP in the various rounds of equity financing with local and foreign investors.
- She represented some corporations of the Axor Group in connection with the refinancing of the hydroelectric power plants of each of Société d’énergie Rivière Sheldrake Inc. and Société d’Énergie Columbus Inc. She was involved in the negotiation of the credit agreements and the taking of security in the assets of the four hydroelectric power plants.
- She also acted for other corporations of the Axor Group in the ownership structure agreements, through emphyteusis or rights of superficies, for public-private projects with municipalities or parapublic organizations, in particular the Centre de police de Laval and the Marriott Hotel at the Dorval airport.
- She represented a lending syndicate in the construction financing of the Mont Sainte-Marguerite Wind farm project. She oversaw the taking of security interests on the project’s assets and the due diligence process of all of the project’s aspects, including the review of major contracts (EPC construction contract, turbine purchase agreement(TSA), management agreements, etc.), title searches, corporate ownership structure, environmental aspects and regulatory compliance.
- She represented Énergir (formerly Gaz Métro) in the acquisition of gas pipelines and conducted the related due diligence process.
- She represented Hydro-Québec TransÉnergie in the acquisition of six power transmission lines from Abitibi-Consolidated Company of Canada (ACCC) as part of ACCC’s plan of arrangement with its creditors; the sale was incidental to Hydro-Québec Production’s acquisition of ACCC’s interest in the McCormick Hydroelectric Power Plant.
- She represented the purchasers in the acquisition of the assets of White Birch Paper Company, a leader in the pulp and paper industry, and managed and supervised the part of the mandate involving the transfer of the three plants as well as the financing of assets and the granting of related security on the assets.
- She represents a lending syndicate represented by TD Bank, as agent, in the financing of Tafisa Canada Inc., a world-renowned manufacturer of particleboard.
- She represented TD Bank in the $50 million financing of a major vehicle rental company’s fleet of vehicles and negotiated intercreditor agreements with the other creditors involved.
- She represented a Canadian bank as part of the $36.3 million financing granted to a developer for the construction of a 12-storey luxury condominium building in Montréal.
- She represented a major multinational corporation in the issuance of a US100million private placement in the U.S. market.
- She represented a Canadian bank in the $76 million financing necessary for the construction of a two-tower building on Maisonneuve Boulevard West in Montréal and in negotiations with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) for the conversion of one of the towers into a divided co-ownership property.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the fields of Energy Law, since 2020
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1985
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of APL Énergies
- Member of the Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA)
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Institut de développement urbain du Québec
- Member of the Association of Quebec Women in Finance (AFFQ)
- Member of the Board of Directors and Corporate Secretary of the Montreal Chamber Music Festival from 2015 to December 2019.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Farha Foundation in 2013.