Zeïneb Mellouli advises and represents public and private companies in all aspects related to labour and employment law, privacy, and the application of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.
She is regularly called upon to appear before administrative tribunals and civil courts, including the Superior Court, the Court of Québec, and the Commission des relations du travail.
During her studies, she was named second best speaker in Canada during the 2007 Laskin Moot competition in constitutional and administrative law. As a graduate student, Ms. Mellouli was also awarded the Albert Leblanc Medal for academic excellence and commitment.
Ms. Mellouli joined Lavery in January 2011 after working as a research lawyer for the honourable justices of the Superior Court of Québec and on behalf of the Ministère de la Justice.
Since 2011, Ms. Mellouli has been actively involved with the Barreau du Québec and the Bar of Montreal. She was elected to the board of directors of the Young Bar Association of Montréal for 2014-2015 and also serves on the board of directors of the Fondation du centre de réadaptation Lucie-Bruneau.
In June of 2016, Ms. Mellouli received a Lexpert Zenith award in recognition of her leadership and dedication to Diversity and Inclusion for her community and Canada’s legal profession.
- Legal representation before the Tribunal administratif du travail in matters related to dismissal, prohibited practices, the union’s representation duty, and case law search and analysis for private companies, 2014-2015
- Recommendation of disciplinary and administrative measures, case law search and analysis, and legal opinions concerning labour relations for private and semi-public companies, 2011-2015
- Drafting of legal opinions concerning the duty to accommodate with regard to the functional limitations of employees covered by various union certification units; interpretation and application of labour laws and the collective agreement in the health care sector, 2011-2015
- Drafting of appeals to the Court of Appeal of Québec and the Superior Court related to judicial review; case law search and analysis; and drafting of pleadings, 2011-2015
- Representation before the Commission de l’équité salariale, interpretation and application of labour laws; case law search and analysis; and legal opinions regarding pay equity, 2011-2015
- Legal representation in grievance arbitration; recommendation of disciplinary and administration measures; case law search and analysis, 2011-2015
- Interpretation and application of labour laws and collective agreements; case law search and analysis; legal opinions regarding labour relations, 2011-2015
- Representation before the Tribunal administratif du Travail regarding mediation and negotiation of agreements in cases involving psychological harassment complaints; strategic management of complaints, 2011-2015
- Interpretation and application of labour laws and collective agreements; recommendations concerning offers from employers and unions; and negotiation strategies, 2013-2015
- Representation before the Tribunal administratif du Travail regarding certification, succession of obligations to the employer acquiring a company; case law search and analysis; representation and strategic recommendations, 2014-2015
- Representation before superior courts, particularly the Superior Court of Québec in matters of dismissal, research, preparation of statements of defense, examination for discovery, and pleading, 2013-2015
- Les autorisations de soin, Yvon Blais webinar
- Le droit du travail version 2.0 : cinq décisions importantes en 2014, Cahier de propriété intellectuelle, May 2015
- The Supreme Court of Canada Renders a Decision on Restrictive Covenants Contained in an Asset Sale Agreement, Need to know express - September 2013
- “I lied, but I did so in good faith!” Need to Know, June 2013
- “Factors examined by the Supreme Court in determining the validity of a municipal bylaw”, Legal newsletter for business entrepreneurs and executives, Number 13, 2012
- “Psychological harrassment in the workplace”, L’Esterel, July 2015
- Alliés ou ennemis: médias sociaux en milieu de travail, Montréal and Québec City, June 2015
- Qui marche dans la neige ne peut pas cacher son passage, Commentary on Québec (Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse) v. Montréal (Communauté urbaine de), January 2015
- Atelier de formation aux gestionnaires sur les bonnes pratiques en matière de gestion de la discipline et obligation de loyauté des employés, January 2015
- Atelier de formation aux gestionnaires sur les bonnes pratiques en matière de discipline et absentéisme, November 2014
- L’ABC de l’Embauche, Lavery de Billy, Place Ville-Marie, September 2013
- Atelier de formation aux gestionnaires sur les bonnes pratiques en matière de gestion de la discipline et rédaction des avis disciplinaires, March 2013
Professional and community activities
- Member of the pay equity and labour standards advisory committee of the Commission des normes, de l'équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (2016-…)
- Collaboration with Lawyers Without Borders in the case of Mr. Raif Badawi; drafting of the memorandum of argument presented to the Supreme Court of Saudi Arabia
- Head of the Technology and information committee
- Member of the Liaison committee of the Bar of Montreal
- Member of the board of directors of the Young Bar Association of Montréal, 2014-2015
- Member of the board of directors of the Fondation du Centre de réadaptation Lucie-Bruneau, since 2012
- Volunteer for The Yellow Door, an outreach program for seniors
- Ambassador for Les Impatients Marylin & Co. project
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of labour and employment law, since 2021
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of Employment Law since 2019
- LL.M., Université de Sherbrooke, 2008
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke, 2007
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Manufacturiers et Exportateurs du Québec (MEQ), since 2020
- Member of the advisory committee of the CNESST