Ms. Myriam Lavallée focuses her practice on labour and employment law, administrative law, and human rights. She advises and represents companies in various sectors with respect to individual and collective labour relations.
Ms. Lavallée has specific expertise in the field of early childcare and is frequently called upon to advise and represent childcare and day care centres and home childcare coordinating offices throughout Quebec before the courts.
For several years, in addition to her work at Lavery, Ms. Lavallée has been involved with other organizations as board member and volunteer. She currently sits on the board of directors of the Chambre de commerce et d’industries de Trois-Rivières, where she chairs the Human resource committee and acts as the corporate secretary, and on the board of directors of Festivoix de Trois-Rivières where she acts as the Vice-President . She also serves as an ambassador for La Ruche Mauricie. Previously, she sat on the board of directors of Femmessor Mauricie, the Jeune Barreau de la Mauricie, Les Petits Collégiens childcare centre and the Jeune chambre de commerce de la Mauricie, of which she was president in 2009 and 2010.
In 2009, Ms. Lavallée was awarded the Prix d’Excellence of the Réseau de recherche en santé et en sécurité du travail du Québec in recognition of a speech she delivered at a conference.
In the eight years before she joined Lavery, Ms. Lavallée worked for another national law firm. Prior to that, she worked for the Ministère de la Justice, more specifically for the Justices of the Superior Court of Quebec. She also coordinated the republication of a treaty for a legal publisher.
- Represent and act as counsel to many businesses with respect to labour and employment law matters
- Advise and represent various home childcare coordinating offices in connection with childcare management matters and proceedings initiated by the administrators of a home childcare centre before the Tribunal administratif du Québec
- Represent childcare centres and home childcare coordinating offices in connection with obstruction complaints and applications for orders
- Advise and represent businesses regarding the application and the decree of the Loi sur les décrets de convention collective
- Represent companies before the Tribunal administratif du travail
- Co-author a memorandum on the Act to tighten the regulation of educational childcare (November 2010)
Publications & talks
- Hiring an employee versus a self-employed worker: advantages, disadvantages and pitfalls to avoid, article published ont www.laverygoinc.ca.
- First-aid course required by the Ministère de la Famille: is the employer required to pay for the training time, article published in a legal information newsletter for operators of childcare and day care centres, January, 2017.
- L’interrogatoire en chef, a talk delivered at the l’Université de Sherbrooke, Octobre 28, 2016.
- Myriam Lavallée, “L’exercice du droit de gérance et la gestion des dossiers disciplinaires et administratifs”, talk delivered to members of the Corporation des concessionnaires d’automobiles de la Mauricie, March 23, 2016.
- “Preparing a defence for an arbitration tribunal,” customized training delivered in French for Université de Sherbrooke, February 10 and March 1 and 2, 2016
- Myriam Lavallée, “Modification éventuelle au Règlement sur les services de garde éducatifs à l’enfance”, article published in a legal newsletter for operators of child care centres, November 2015.
- Myriam Lavallée, “Conduite et comportements à l’extérieur du travail: vie privée ou domaine de l’employeur, talk delivered to the Regroupement des garderies privées du Québec, October 17, 2015.
- Myriam Lavallée (in collaboration) and Véronique Savoie, “The importance of good communication with one’s insurer: a childcare center is sued”, article published in a legal information newsletter for operators of childcare and day care centres, September 2015
- Myriam Lavallée and Marie-Josée Hétu, “Développements récents en droit du travail et de l’emploi, ainsi qu’en santé et sécurité du travail”, talk before the Réseau RH de Drummondville, May 6, 2015
- Myriam Lavallée, “Verifying impediments”, article published in a legal information newsletter for operators of childcare and day care centres, March 2015
- Myriam Lavallée, “Le devoir d’accommodement de l’employeur en 2015: jusqu’où faut-il aller?” talk before the Colloque annuel en droit du travail, May 5, 2015
- Myriam Lavallée and Jean Boulet, “Droit du travail québécois – Développements récents”, talk given in connection with the Barreau du Québec’s Mandatory continuing education program, May 22, 2013
- Myriam Lavallée, “Les politiques d’entreprises: portée et limites”, talk given at the annual Labour, Employment and Human Rights Law Conference, April 18, 2013
- Myriam Lavallée and Jean Boulet, “Droit du travail québécois – Développements récents”, talk given in connection with the continuing education program of the Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréés, April 16, 2013
- Myriam Lavallée and Jean Boulet, “Arbitrage de griefs: Développements récents 2011 - 2012”, talk given in connection with the Barreau du Québec’s Mandatory continuing education program, February 20, 2013
- Myriam Lavallée, “La protection des renseignements personnels”, talk given to the members of the Corporation des concessionnaires d’automobiles de la Mauricie, May 29, 2012
- Myriam Lavallée, “Préparation d’un dossier pour le Tribunal administratif du Québec”, training session given to managers of home childcare coordinating offices, February 22, 2012
- Myriam Lavallée, “Droits de la personne en milieu de travail: où en sommes-nous?”, talk given as part of the annual Labour, Employment and Human Rights Law Conference, February 16, 2012
- Université de Sherbrooke, LL.B., 2003
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 2004
- Canadian Bar Association
- Interuniversity Research Centre on Globalization and Work (CRIMT)
- Chambre de commerce et d'industries de Trois-Rivières
- Jeune chambre de commerce de la Mauricie
- Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréés du Québec
Publications by Myriam Lavallée
- Myriam Lavallée and Jessica Parent