Étienne Brassard is a partner and practises business law. He is a member of the Private financing group, and his main areas of practice are business financing, banking law, and commercial law, including the negotiation and drafting of credit agreements and related movable and immovable security agreements, leasing, lease financing, and installment sales.
Mr. Brassard has also acted in several major syndicated and non-syndicated cross-border financings as well as the financing of specific assets such as aircraft, rolling stock, and heavy machinery. He also represents and advises clients in connection with asset and share purchases and sales, corporate reorganizations, and the negotiation and drafting of various commercial agreements.
Mr. Brassard also coordinates the Lavery GO inc. Program, supporting start-up businesses and advising them on their corporate structure and financing.
- Represent Réseau Sélection with respect to a partnership agreement with Revera Inc. combining their retirement home portfolios in Quebec to create a portfolio of properties valued in excess of C$1 billion, with Réseau Sélection now managing more than 7,400 units
- Counsel Héroux-Devtek Inc. in financing the acquisition of UK-based APPH Limited and US-based APPH Wichita, Inc., subsidiaries of BBA Aviation Plc , at a cost of approximately C$128 million.
- Special adviser in Quebec to a large manufacturer of wind turbines requiring the establishment of credit facilities of €215,000,000 with an international lending syndicate headed by the Nordea Bank Danmark A/S, as agent and lead arranger
- Canadian adviser to an international leasing and financing company with respect to its financing of business jets including:
- Bombardier Challenger 605 (CGI)
- Dassault Falcon 2000 (Magna International)
- Gulfstream G100 (Tim Hortons)
- Bombardier Global 5000 (private entity)
- Represent a borrower in connection with the arrangement of credit facilities for the construction of a 25 MW hydroelectric project in the Côte-Nord region of Quebec involving total construction costs of approximately C$75 million
- Special adviser in Quebec to Héroux-Devtek Inc. with respect to the sale of virtually all its aerostructure and industrial products operations to Precision Castparts Corp. for approximately C$300 million.
- Special adviser in Quebec to a major manufacturer of semi- and fully automatic stretch wrapping machines in connection with the arrangement of credit facilities of €233,000,000 with an international lending syndicate led by Alpha Bank A.E., as agent.
- Represent a Canadian bank in the financing of a substantial percentage of the aircraft fleet of a Canadian airline company
- Represent financial institutions in the financing of films such as Red 2, The Colony, Warm Bodies, and Riddick
- Represent a Canadian financial institution in the securitization of a series of real estate loans
- Represent a group of seniors’ residences in connection with a construction loan of C$38 million
- Represent a Canadian bank in connection with the arrangement of credit facilities for the expansion of a sports complex and operating expenses, at a cost of more than $42 million
Professional and community activities
- Coaches and advises startups with Info Entrepreneurs (Canada Business Network)
- Acts as mentor for Startup NEXT Montreal 2015 and as judge in the selection board
- Canadian Finance and Leasing Association
Publications and lectures
- Speaker, “Négociation et rédaction des conventions de crédit et des conventions entre créanciers pour rencontrer vos objectifs d’affaires”, Commercial Loan Finance & Security, The Canadian Institute – Montréal, January 29, 2014
- Speaker, “Le financement des projets immobiliers au Québec”, Real Estate Development, The Canadian Institute – Montréal, February 27, 2013
- Author, “Dispositions applicables à toutes les hypothèques”, in JurisClasseur Québec, coll. “Droit civil”, Sûretés, LexisNexis Canada
- Co-speaker with Pierre Denis, “Sûretés sur les aéronefs”, Commercial Loan Finance & Security, The Canadian Institute – Montréal, January 26, 2012
- Recipient of the Aubrey-Vincent-Senez Scholarship for excellence in business law (2007)
- Recipient of the merit scholarship from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies of Université de Montréal (2007)
- Université de Montréal, LL.B., 2006
- Financial accounting program, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2010
- Université de Montréal/China University of Political Science and Law, LL.M., 2007
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 2007
Publications by Étienne Brassard
- Josianne Beaudry , Étienne Brassard and Guillaume Synnott