Maude Lafortune-Bélair is a member of the Litigation group and practises in the fields of civil liability, product liability, professional liability, directors’ and officers’ liability, as well as damage insurance.
In her product liability practice, Ms. Lafortune-Bélair acts as defense counsel for manufacturers, suppliers, and vendors, either directly or through their insurers. She also advises clients on strategic and risk management issues.
Ms. Lafortune-Bélair has handled numerous files involving vexatious litigants.
Ms. Lafortune-Bélair has given lectures on various subjects related to insurance law, product liability and litigation.
During her university studies, Ms. Lafortune-Bélair made the Dean's Honours list of the faculty of law of the Université de Montréal.
- Represent manufacturers in proceedings in which design or manufacturing defects are alleged
- Represent the interests of manufacturers in the implementation and management of recalls
- Represent manufacturers in coroner's inquests
- Represent an excess insurer in a long-term trial involving various technical issues and more than 750 claimants
- Represent insurers in an important insurance litigation on the determination of the law applicable to insurance policies with respect to claims totalling over $1.5 billion
- Represent professionals, including hospitals and brokers, in civil courts and coroner's inquests
- Prescription extinctive, JurisClasseur Québec – Droit civil collection, Preuve et Procédure, fasc. 22, Montréal, LexisNexis, Canada
- La Loi canadienne sur la sécurité des produits de consommation: Êtes-vous prêts?, Revue industrie & commerce, September 2011
- The Canada Consumer Product Safety Act: Are you Ready?, Need to Know , Lavery, de Billy, June 2011
- Immunité relative, irrecevabilité et quérulence: Est-il suffisant d'alléguer la mauvaise foi?, Droit de savoir, Lavery, de Billy, Marie-Andrée Gagnon and Maude Lafortune-Bélair, March 2010
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2007
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 2009
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Young Bar Association of Montréal
- Montréal Association of Insurance Women
- Defense Research Institute