Jean Martel, a Lavery partner specializing in financial law, is one the six distinguished business leaders with experience in the financial markets who will judge the candidates for the inaugural IIAC Industry Scholarship Award. The other members of the jury will be:
- Doug Hall, currently Chair of Nova Scotia Business Inc., and former Managing Director of RBC Dominion Securities, Halifax;
- The Honourable Tom Hockin, most recently the Chair of the Expert Panel on Securities Regulation;
- Harold MacKay, former Managing Partner and Chairman, MacPherson Leslie & Tyerman LLP, Regina;
- Joe Oliver, past President and Chief Executive Officer of the Investment Dealers Association of Canada; and
- The Honourable David L. Emerson, currently Executive Chair of the British Columbia Transmission Corporation and former Minister of International Trade of Canada.
The scholarship will be awarded to an employee of an IIAC member firm who demonstrates professional excellence, serves the community and contributes to the betterment of the investment industry and the capital markets. Jean Martel's presence on the panel is a recognition of his extended experience and involvement in the field of financial law - securities, corporate financing, regulation and governance of financial institutions, financial services and securities markets - on the national and international scenes.