LAVERY IS ALSO...
Jean-Philippe Lincourt is a member of the Litigation Group and practises mainly in the fields of commercial litigation, class actions, insurance law and professional liability. He is also called upon to work on the competition team's cases.
Having developed special expertise in class actions, Mr. Lincourt is involved in numerous significant cases pertaining to product liability as well as competition, consumer, environmental and securities law.
Furthermore, in his commercial litigation practice, he represents the interests of various clients in the areas of manufacturing, real estate, transportation law and infrastructure and the sale of petroleum products.
In the course of his work, he is called upon to contribute in various ways, including drafting pleadings, representing clients before the courts and negotiating and implementing settlement agreements.
In addition to participating in a number of educational conferences and symposia focusing on class action litigation in Canada and the United States, he is also a guest speaker on the subject. Mr. Lincourt is a member of the Quebec Bar Committee on Class Actions since 2009.
He is also a member of the Board of Tennis Montreal whose mission is to promote and increase the practice of tennis in Montreal.
Mr. Lincourt is a part of the firm’s Advisory Committee for university recruitment and, as such, is in charge of the recruitment from the Université de Montréal, his alma mater.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Lincourt practised with a law firm specializing in class action litigation.
Conferences et presentations
- Review of 2010 Class Actions in Québec (Conference on recent developments in class actions in Canada and the United States- October 28 and 29, 2010)
- The Definition of the Class (provisional title), (Conference on recent developments in the area of class actions in Canada, the United States and Europe - October 23 and 24, 2008)
- Class Actions and Municipal Litigation (conference sponsored by the Canadian Bar Association - Quebec Division, Municipal Law Section November 27, 2007)
- News from Paradise: the Agropur Ruling and its Consequences (2007 annual convention of the Young Bar Association of Montreal - May 4, 2007)
- The Criteria for Approval of a Class Action Settlement (Conference on recent developments in the area of class actions in Canada, the United States and Europe - Professional Development Service of the Québec Bar - October 25 and 26, 2006)
- How to Avoid Class Actions - Managing the Legal Risks of a Pension Fund, Federated Press (Publications FP inc.), Montreal, September 3 and 4, 2008
- Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the board of directors of the Young Bar Association of Montreal (YBAM) - 2008–2009
- Member of the Quebec Bar Committee on Class Actions
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Competition and Antitrust Law
Distribution of financial products and services
In Fact and in Law - The Superior Court refuses to authorize a class action against a furniture and electrical household appliances giant
LAVERY AT A GLANCE
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. 175 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in 120 countries.