René Branchaud, partner and member of the Board of Directors of the firm, practises in the fields of securities, mergers and acquisitions, as well as corporate law. With more than thirty years’ experience, he advises companies on matters such as incorporation and organization, the drafting of shareholder agreements, private placements, public issues, going public, dispositions, and takeovers.
His services are in demand with European entrepreneurs and investors, primarily in France, wishing to set up companies in Canada. René has acquired extensive experience in this area and the specific challenges facing companies moving to Québec. He advises businesses in all sectors of economic activity on the legal and regulatory aspects of doing business in Québec and Canada, identifying the business services they will need and assembling multidisciplinary teams to facilitate their efforts. Over the years, he has built a strong business network (bankers, financial advisers, tax experts, and accountants) that he calls upon when carrying out the mandates entrusted to him.
René sits on the boards of directors and acts as secretary of several publicly traded companies; he also serves on corporate governance committees and special committees established to address specific issues (mergers, takeovers).
- Advise issuers preparing public offering and private placement documents
- Advise senior management during mergers and acquisitions
- Coordinate due diligence reviews in connection with financings and mergers
- Advise securities dealers in connection with financings, mergers, and stock exchange listings
- Chambers Canada in the field of Energy and Natural Resources: Mining, since 2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the fields of Mining, Natural Resources and Securities Law, since 2011
- The Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, Mining Law, 2018
- The Legal 500 Canada as « Recommended Lawyer » in the area of mergers and acquisitions, 2017
- Lexpert Special Edition – Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers in energy law, 2017
- Lexpert/Report on Business Special Edition – Corporate in corporate law in Canada, 2017
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in the field of Natural Resources Law, 2017
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of Corporate Finance Securities, since 2016
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of Mining Law, since 2010
- « Lawyer of the Year in Montreal» par Best Lawyers in the field of Natural Resources Law, 2014
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1982
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Genius Metals Inc.
- Hydroma Inc.
- Midland Exploration Inc.
- Opéra de Montréal