Nicolas Gagnon specializes in construction law and surety law. He counsels public and private sector clients, professional services firms and contractors as well as surety companies at every stage of construction projects. He advises clients with respect to the public bidding and procurement process, and is involved in the drafting of contract documents and the management of the work and any claims resulting therefrom.
He also counsels syndicates of co-owners in matters dealing with divided co-ownership of immovables. Mr. Gagnon regularly represents these parties before civil and arbitration tribunals.
Mr. Gagnon is the co-author of the national reference work Scott & Reynolds on Surety Bonds dealing with surety issues in civil law. He is often a guest speaker on issues regarding construction law and also teaches various legal training courses to contractors on behalf of organizations related to the Quebec construction industry.
Professional and community activities
- Fellow of The Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Member of the Executive committee of the National Construction & Infrastructure Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association, 2018-2019
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Canadian Bar Association's for the Québec division of the Construction Law Section
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Surety Association of Canada
- Counsel for the Quebec division of the Surety Association of Canada
- Very High Rating in both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards of Martindale-Hubbel (BV Distinguished rating) by his peers, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Construction Law, since 2006
- Lexpert Special Edition on Canada's Leading Infrastructure Lawyers as leading lawyers in the field of Infrastructure, 2017
- The Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, in the field of Construction, 2015
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of Construction, since 2011
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1989
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Secretary of the Board of Directors for the Sutton Ski Club