François Bélanger is a partner and a member of the firm’s Litigation group. He also leads the Quebec office litigation team. He is a litigator in the areas of commercial, real estate, and construction law.
Mr. Bélanger’s practice focuses mainly on litigation and settling disputes. He specializes in construction and represents professionals, contractors and insurers. He regularly handles major cases with many complex technical challenges. Mr. Bélanger is particularly skilled at working with technical standards. He has developed considerable expertise in reviewing plans and estimates. He handles cases strategically and efficiently.
Mr. Bélanger also reviews and drafts commercial contracts and shareholders’ agreements. His clients also benefit from his fluency with financial data analysis. He is an expert in real estate law, particularly commercial leases.
Mr. Bélanger is proactive, which enables him to provide personalized service with a clear understanding of his clients’ needs.
- Represented Gestion F.D. Desharnais Inc. in a dispute concerning the urgent installation of a main pipe as part of major construction work
- Represented Pro-Métal Plus Inc. in a dispute concerning the adequacy of estimates for calls for tenders to construct a retaining structure for public use and for which the critical timelines relative to the construction site also had to be determined
- Analysis of (no) compliance with contractual obligations: scope of work, coordination, compliance of work, recovery work, management of extras, termination of contract, errors or omissions, etc.
- Liability for No-compliance or Loss of Work
- Liability for Failure to Manage Projects
- Represents shareholders in complex disputes with other shareholders, which involve forensic accounting evidence and analysis of financial statements
- Drafting of commercial agreements and construction contracts
- Conflict resolution: negotiation, development and implementation of negotiation and conflict resolution strategies
Publications and lectures
- Bélanger, François, "La gestion des litiges dans un contexte de PME : une vision pratique", Université Laval, 2020
- Bélanger, François, "Zones à risques : Congrès de la CEGQ 2019, Webinaires solidaires de la CEGQ", Guest lecturer : "L’Unique assurance et diverses entreprises de construction"
- Bélanger, François, "Vous voulez être payé… mais l’avez-vous demandé??", Journal Nouvelles Économiques, October 2018
- Bélanger, François, Marc-André Bouchard and Solveig Ménard-Castonguay, "Se prévaloir du contrat de cautionnement à titre de fournisseur de matériaux ou de sous-traitant", Droit de savoir, September 2018
- Bélanger, François, "La stipulation pour autrui dans un contrat de construction : la clé du recours contractuel du sous-traitant contre le maître d’ouvrage", Journal Nouvelles Économiques, October 2017
- Bélanger, François, and Charlotte Fortin, "Le contrôle judiciaire d’une décision rendue par la Cour du Québec en matière civile : un recours inusité, mais possible dans certaines circonstances", Droit de savoir, February 2017
- Bélanger, François, "Diagnostic : votre relation d’affaires tourne au vinaigre", Journal Nouvelles Économiques, March 2016
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1999
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Boards of Directors of Garantie de construction résidentielle, since 2020
- Law Professor, Campus Notre-Dame-de-Foy since 2015
- Member, Board of directors of Université Laval, 2010-2014
- Member, Strategic Office of the Université Laval Faculty of Medecine, 2010-2014
- President, Board of Directors of the Université Laval Graduates Association (ADUL), 2008-2010
- Member, Board of Directors of the Université Laval Graduates Association (ADUL), 2001-2010