On July 4, 2023, Cultures Gen V, one of Quebec’s leading greenhouse growers, announced the acquisition of Serres Royales. The acquisition furthers Cultures Gen V’s business strategy, which aims to improve Quebec’s food self-sufficiency by expanding sustainable greenhouse growing and offering consumers a wider variety of superior quality products. This transaction makes Cultures Gen V the largest diversified greenhouse grower in Quebec, adding 9 hectares of tomatoes to its current acreage, for a total of 36 hectares. Lavery was privileged to represent Cultures Gen V in the transaction. Not only did the firm implement the group’s pre-transaction refinancing, it also negotiated and closed the transaction. The Lavery team was led by Étienne Brassard with the assistance of Gabrielle Ahélo and France Camille De Mers and the collaboration of Béatrice Bull, Pamela Cifola, Éric Gélinas, Jessica Parent, Chantal Desjardins, James Duffy, Valérie Belle-Isle, Sonia Guérin, Joseph Lauzon-Potts, Arielle Supino, Bernard Trang, Katerina Kostopoulos, Charlotte Dangoisse, David Tournier, Ana Cristina Nascimento, Joëlle Montpetit and Nadine Giguère.
France Camille De Mers Partner, Lawyer
- Québec, 2013
France Camille De Mers is a partner of the Business Law group. She practices mainly in transactional and commercial law. In her practice, Ms. De Mers negotiates, drafts and revises various legal documents related to commercial transactions (sale and acquisition of businesses, mergers, corporate reorganizations).
Over the course of her career, Ms. De Mers has worked on several major transactions and supported entrepreneurs in all facets of their growth. She advises them on their corporate structure, governance, lobbying and strategic issues.
Ms. De Mers has developed a specialization in intellectual property and advises her clients on information technology, trademarks and the licensing and transfer of intellectual property rights.
- " Développements récents en droit des sociétés " (2019),“Gouvernance des sociétés d’État à vocation commerciale— Rôle et pouvoirs du conseil d’administration et de la direction des sociétés d’État, similitudes et différences avec les sociétés par actions de droit privé” (co-authored with André Vautour and Jean-François Maurice)
- Representation of Premier Parks, LLC in the acquisition of two theme parks, Village Vacances Valcartier and Calypso of Groupe Calypso-Valcartier (finalist for Deal of the Year: Law Firm at the M&A Awards Gala 2023)
- Representation of NorthStar Earth & Space Inc. in a Series C equity and convertible debt funding round by five investors: Cartesian Capital Group, LLC, Investissement Québec, Luxembourg Future Fund, Telesystem Space Inc. and Luxembourg Space Sector Development SCSp (finalist for Deal of the Year: Private Equity at the M&A Awards Gala 2023)
- Representation of a plastic product designer and manufacturer in the acquisition of a competitor with a view to market consolidation
- Representation of a successful board game publisher in selling its business for over $80 million
- Representation of a major French publishing company in acquiring two board game publishers allowing it to enter the Canadian market
- Representation of Talent.com (formerly Neuvoo) in the implementation of its $53-million Series A funding by the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec to expand into new markets and bolster its platform with artificial intelligence
- Representation of an energy company in setting up a joint venture in the artificial intelligence field
- Representation of an aerospace start-up in several rounds of financing, drafting and negotiating data distribution and marketing agreements and acting as the company corporate secretary
- Representation of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in its nearly $160-million investment in two rounds of financing in Top Aces Inc., a company specializing in air combat training
- Representation of Groupe Sélection in the establishment of a consortium for the construction, development and ownership of Espace Montmorency, Laval’s largest mixed-use real estate project worth nearly $500 million
- Representation of an agricultural company in acquiring two competitors resulting in the creation of one of the largest agricultural companies in Quebec
Professional and community activities
- Graduate of The A Effect program, a 100-day training program designed to accelerate professional development
- Speaker and instructor for the LEAN STARTUP PROGRAM and the WOMEN LEAN STARTUP PROGRAM offered by McGill University’s Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Instructor of the corporate law course for members of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (introductory law course)
- Chair of the Member Relations Committee of the Young Bar of Montreal (2019-2020)
- Professor at the École du Barreau, 2020-2023
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada 2023 in the category Mergers & Acquisitions Law
- Post graduate degree in cultural organizations management, HEC Montréal, 2016
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2012
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Young Bar of Montreal (2019-2020)
- Member of the International Literary and Artistic Association
- Member of the Association des juristes pour l’avancement de la vie artistique
- Member of the Association of Quebec Women in Finance