Ouassim Tadlaoui is a partner in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution group. He focuses his practice on banking litigation, restructuring, bankruptcy, insolvency and construction surety bonds.
He represents chartered banks and other financial institutions and alternative lenders as creditors, as well as certain debtors, in bankruptcy or restructuring mandates. He also represents and advises surety companies as well as national and international companies in matters of insolvency, bankruptcy and restructuring in the construction industry.
Mr. Tadlaoui regularly pleads before different courts, such as the Superior Court of Québec (Civil and Commercial divisions) and the Court of Appeal of Québec.
- Represented Bank of Montreal, National Bank of Canada and Laurentian Bank of Canada in various insolvency and restructuring cases;
- Represented many trustees in bankruptcy in various insolvency and restructuring cases;
- Acted for Aviva Insurance Company of Canada in a number of insolvency and restructuring cases, including the Groupe Hexagone L.P. CCAA case;
- Acted for many alternative lenders in various collection, insolvency and restructuring matters;
- Represented EBC Inc. in the Bloom Lake Mine CCAA case;
- Acted for Bell Canada in various insolvency and restructuring matters.
- Co-author, “Using the CCAA as a Collection Tool: The Hexagone File Example,” Annual Review of Insolvency Law, 2018;
- Author, “New Judgment Clarifies When Bankruptcy Debt May be Declared Non-Releasable,” August 10, 2018;
- Co-author, “Join the Party! An Overview of the Case Law on Representation Orders in Canadian Insolvency Proceedings,” International Corporate Rescue, Volume 14, Issue 6, November 24, 2017;
- Co-author, “Processus de liquidation et plans d’arrangements en vertu du droit des compagnies ou des sociétés,” Fascicle 23, JurisClasseur Québec - Faillite, insolvabilité et restructuration, 2010, updated in 2014.
- Organizer and co-lecturer, “Review of General Bankruptcy and Insolvency Concepts in Canada With a Focus on D&O Liability,” lecture given at Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, July 9, 2020;
- Co-lecturer, “The Hexagone File: Using the CCAA as a Collection Tool,” lecture given at the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP) Annual Conference on August 13, 2019;
- Lecturer, “Revue Jurisprudentielle en matière de faillite et insolvabilité volet consommateur,” Annual symposiums of the Conseil des Syndics Autorisés en Insolvabilité du Québec, 2017, 2018 and 2019;
- Co-lecturer, “Using the CCAA as a Collection Tool: The Hexagone File Example,” Annual Review of Insolvency Law, 2019, February 1, 2019;
- Co-lecturer, “Où en sommes-nous rendus dans le domaine de la construction.” Financial restructuring, insolvency and bankruptcy conference, open forum, September 20, 2016;
- Co-lecturer, “Revue de certaines créances ayant un statut particulier au Québec susceptibles d’affecter les créanciers garantis,” Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP) Annual Conference, May 29, 2017.
- J.D./LL.L., University of Ottawa, 2005
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2004
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Chambre de commerce et d’industrie du Sud-Ouest de Montréal
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- Member, Surety Association of Canada