Élisabeth Pinard is a partner of the Family law, Personal law and Estate law team. She acted as the coordinator of the team from 1990 to 2017. She acts primarily as litigator in complex divorce cases as well as in private international law, inheritance disputes, and elder law. She is also a certified mediator.
Ms. Pinard also acts as counsel to accounting and valuation firms on the legal impact of marital breakdown in matters of succession, business transfers, protective trusts, and the valuation of private corporations.
Ms. Pinard taught for a few years in the Mandatory continuing education program of the Barreau du Québec and in the law faculty of Université Laval. She is also asked to speak by various organizations, including the National Judicial Institute, the Mandatory continuing education program of the Barreau du Québec, the Chambre des notaires du Québec, and the Canadian Bar Association.
Ms. Pinard has written numerous articles on family law, estate planning and liquidation, and protective supervision. She co-wrote Législation sur le patrimoine familial annotée (4th edition, Carswell Publications, October 2003) and Procédures en matière familiale (Éditions Yvon Blais, 2001).
Ms. Pinard frequently appears before the Superior Court of Québec and the Québec Court of Appeal in divorce and legal separation cases and in proceedings to modify corollary relief with respect to child custody, support, the partition of family patrimony, matrimonial regimes, and estate litigation.
Professional and community activities
- Member of the Quebec Province Committee de l’American College of Trial Lawyers, 2018-2019
- Member of the CBA Elder Law and Family Law Sections
- Member of the Disciplinary Committee of the Barreau du Québec
- Former member of the Mères et Monde Fundraising Committee
- Former member of the Barreau du Québec’s Mandatory continuing education committee
- Former member of the Board of Directors of Université Laval
- Former member of the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors of Université Laval
- Former president of the Fondation de l'Université Laval, a major university foundation in Québec
- Former president of Université Laval’s Alumni Association
- Former member of the Liaison committee of the Superior Court
- Former member of the Liaison committee of the Court of Appeal
- Former member of the Barreau du Québec’s Standing committee on family law
- Former representative of the Barreau du Québec on the Tripartite committee on advisory and psychosocial mediation services
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in field of Family Law, since 2006
- Named Avocat émérite by the Barreau du Québec, 2017
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the field of Family Law, since 2014
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, March 4th 2017
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1979
- Member of the Quebec Bar since 1980
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Association de médiation familiale du Québec
- Association des avocats et avocates en droit familial du Québec
- Association des familialistes du Québec
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- International Society of Family Law
- Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Certified mediator