Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin is a member of the Litigation group and practises primarily in the areas of insurance law, professional liability, and commercial litigation.
Mr. Lacoste-Jobin earned a combined common law/civil law degree from McGill University in 2005 and is a member of the Barreau du Québec since 2006. He is partner in the litigation sector since 2016. Mr. Lacoste-Jobin participates in conferences and training sessions dealing with insurance law, such as those offered by the Institut d’assurance de dommages du Québec.
For the past six years, Mr. Lacoste-Jobin has delivered the Jean Bélanger lecture, a review of developments in insurance law over the previous year, to the Canadian Bar Association and the Canadian Insurance Claims Manager Association. He also lectured at Université du Québec à Montréal as part of the Pierre-Basile-Mignault moot court competition.
Mr. Lacoste-Jobin contributes to various insurance publications including “Développements récents en droit des assurances” and JurisClasseur Québec, published by LexisNexis (insurance and consumer law). He also contributes to various legal journals such as the Quebec Digest of Insurance Law, published by A.M. Best, and that of the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages du Québec (ChadPresse).
Together with Mr. Bernard Larocque, he recently represented Pro Bono Québec before the Supreme Court of Canada in Réjean Hinse v. the Attorney General of Canada.
- Representation of a commercial insurer in a case concerning a major loss involving analysis and interpretation of an insurance policy.
- Recovery of an amount paid by an insurer concerning a major industrial loss from a manufacturer of specialized products in the metal industry.
- Analysis of coverage concerning various professional liability insurance policies.
- Representation of manufacturing companies in a class action resulting from chemical contamination of residential wells.
- Representation of an agricultural chemicals distributor concerning the sale of a product that allegedly caused plant damage.
- Representation of an agronomist in a case involving advice relating to market gardening.
- Representation of a pig-fattening company in a case involving hog producers.
Recent presentations and activities
- Lecturer for the Canadian Bar Association and the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages
- Lecturer for the Pierre-Basile-Mignault Moot (Université du Québec à Montréal)
- Presentation: Conseils pratiques aux experts en sinistre, du sinistre au procès, for the Association des experts en sinistre indépendants du Québec
- Presentation: L’assurance responsabilité des administrateurs et dirigeants et l’assurance contre les erreurs et omission, for the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages
- Presentation: Revue annuelle de la jurisprudence en matière d’assurance de dommages, accredited by the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages and the Canadian Bar Association
- B.C.L., LL.B., McGill University, 2005
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 2006
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Young Bar Association of Montréal