Ms. Cantin is a partner at Lavery and a member of Lavery’s Insurance Litigation group. Her practice is focused on insurance law including questions related to financial products and services and civil litigation.
She is coordinator of Lavery’s Financial Products and Services group. She was also the coordinator of Lavery’s Insurance Litigation group.
Ms. Cantin is regularly retained to handle cases in the areas of construction involving insurance issues. She also handles professional liability cases, especially in connection with sustainable development projects. Her practice includes product liability, she is retained by insurers and manufacturers in Canada and elsewhere. She has extensive experience representing clients in complex matters before the civil courts and in alternative dispute resolution procedures such as mediation.
She represents several insurers in major loss cases involving fires, acting for subrogees and defendant insurers. She also represented an insurer before the Court of Appeal to obtain a ruling allowing insurers to henceforth involve, by forced intervention, third parties potentially liable for a claim, even if the insurer has denied its insured’s claim.
- Builders' Risk Insurance: Interpreting the Usual Faulty Workmanship and "LEG" Exclusions in connection with Ledcor and Acciona, March 2018
- An obiter of the Quebec Court of Appeal makes its way up to the Supreme Court of Canada, November 2016
- Wellington type motions seeking to order a CGL insurer to take up the defence of its insured, October 2016
- Legal newsletter for real estate and construction professionals, Number 10, May 2015
- Cooling towers and asbestos: new obligations for owners, tenants, managers and employers, June 2014
- Building safety – New onerous obligations for owners, April 2013
- Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America, since 2018
- The World’s Leading Lawyers in the fields of Insurance and Reinsurance, since 2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the fields of Insurance and Construction law, since 2010
- Lexpert Special Edition in the field of Infrastructure, 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory in the field of Litigation – Commercial Insurance, 2016
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1990
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1989
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Served on the Executive committee of the Canadian Bar Association, Insurance and civil litigation section
- Member of the Statutory Committee of the Barreau du Québec as arbitrator in fee disputes