Jean-François Maurice is a member of the Business Law group. His practice focuses primarily on private equity and venture capital transactions, public and private financings, mergers and acquisitions and fund formation. He frequently acts and advises for start-up and growth companies, fund managers, public companies and state-owned enterprises on corporate and securities law matters.
Jean-Francois regularly acts for software and technology companies in the negotiation and drafting of software and technology agreements, including licensing, distribution and master services agreements. He also advises local and foreign clients in connection with cross-border transactions and commercial matters related to the United States and China.
Jean-Francois is known for his problem-solving mindset and his focus on value creation.
- Represented the ad hoc committee of first lien lenders to Cirque du Soleil in connection with the acquisition of Cirque du Soleil pursuant to a credit bid under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act for $1.2 billion;
- Represented international fund managers in connection with the negotiation and closing of capital commitments from Quebec investors in excess of $425 millions;
- Represented Quebec fund managers in connection with fund formation and closing of capital commitments in excess of $320 millions;
- Represented private equity funds in connection with the closing and renewal of credit facilities in excess of $150 millions;
- Represented public issuers in connection with private placements, with gross proceeds in excess of $85 millions;
- Represented Canadian investment banks acting as lead underwriters in public financings of Canadian mining issuers, with gross proceeds in excess of $56 millions;
- Represented ChronoMétriq Inc. in connection with debt and equity financings in excess of $25 millions;
- Represented ChronoMétriq Inc. in its acquisition of healthcare management startup Health Myself Innovations Inc;
- Represented the shareholders of Walter Innovations Inc. in the acquisition of Walter Innovations Inc. by GOLO Mobile Inc. for a purchase price of $6 millions;
- Represented 01 Studio Inc. in connection with an equity financing and with the licensing and distribution of its video game in China.
- “Mes André VAUTOUR, France Camille DE MERS & Jean-François MAURICE, Gouvernance des sociétés d'État à vocation commerciale - Rôle et pouvoirs du conseil d'administration et de la direction des sociétés d'État, similitudes et différences avec les sociétés par actions de droit privé, Développements récents en droit des affaires, volume 460, june 1st, 2019.”
Professional and community activities
- ”Bénévole d’affaires”
- LL.M., Peking University, 2018– Business Law. Thesis subject: “Corporate governance strategies to improve the governance of state-owned corporations, using principles of economic analysis of law.”
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2013