Claudia Bérubé practises in civil and commercial litigation, primarily in the areas of real estate, insurance, civil and professional liability, construction and health law. She represents the firm's clients, including insurers, notaries, real estate brokers, entrepreneurs and health-care institutions, before all the courts of Québec, as well as in mediation and arbitration cases.
During her studies in law, Ms. Bérubé completed an internship with a judge of the Superior Court of Québec, and served as an ambassador for the Université de Sherbrooke’s Faculty of Law. She has received several prizes and distinctions, including the Albert-Leblanc Medal – the highest distinction of the Université de Sherbrooke’s Faculty of Law – awarded to the most outstanding student for excellence in their academic results and their involvement in the faculty, university, and community. She also made the Faculty's Honour List every year during her studies.
As part of her master's in business administration, Ms. Bérubé did two internships, the first in human resources, business and project management, and the second in marketing, at the Université de Sherbrooke.
Ms. Bérubé continues to be very involved in her community. From 2013 to 2015, she sat on the board of directors of the Regroupement des compagnies résidentes du Centre des arts de la scène Jean-Besré. She currently sits on the board of directors of the Association des professionnels de l’assurance de l’Estrie.
Finally, Ms. Bérubé teaches Insurance Law to students in the bachelor of law program at the Faculty of Law of the Université de Sherbrooke. She also previously gave the courses on Legal Methodology, Legal Communication – Moot Court, the Jurist's Work Methods, and Documentary Research. She is recognized and certified as an instructor by the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages (ChAD) and by the self-regulating body for real estate brokers, the Organisme d’autoréglementation du courtage immobilier du Québec (OACIQ).
Prior to joining Lavery in 2014, Ms. Bérubé practised at a national law firm.
Publications and lectures
- "L’obligation de vérifier l’identité et la capacité juridique des parties ", a presentation given to the real estate brokers in the Sherbrooke area, November 2019
- " Votre client vendeur reçoit une mise en demeure pour vices cachés : que faire? ", a presentation given as a part the conference of the Chambre immobilière de l'Estrie, May 2019
- "Courtiers en assurance et experts en sinistre : vos dossiers sont-ils conformes?", a presentation given to the members of the Association des professionnels de l’assurance de l’Estrie, September 2018
- "Tout ce que vous devez savoir sur la garantie légale de qualité", a presentation given to real estate brokers in the Sherbrooke region, April and May 2018, March 2019
- "La déontologie et la conformité : tenue de dossiers et accès à l’information", a seminar given to insurance adjusters of an insurance company and client of the firm, December 2017
- "La Division des petites créances et le Nouveau Code de procédure civile", a presentation given to the members of the Association des professionnels de l’assurance de l’Estrie, November 2015
- "The Small Claims Court: for whom and how?", a seminar given to Lavery clients at the firm's Sherbrooke office, January and February 2015
- "L'ordonnance de traitement et d'hébergement: aspects pratiques", a lecture given to psychiatry residents at the CIUSSS de l'Estrie - CHUS, June 2014 and June 2015
- "Développements récents en droit locatif", a lecture given to member-owners of property of CORPIQ, April 2013
- "Incendie dans un immeuble à logements et décès de deux enfants en raison de détecteurs de fumée non fonctionnels: à qui revient la responsabilité?", an article published in the bulletin Focus, July 2013
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), cooperative program, Université de Sherbrooke, 2011
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke, 2011
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Association du Jeune Barreau du district de Saint-François
- Jeune Chambre de commerce de Sherbrooke
- Association des professionnels de l’assurance de l’Estrie