Geneviève Chamberland practices mainly in the areas of civil litigation and labour law. She works closely with various insurers, business owners and institutions in the education, health and social services sectors on matters relating to civil and professional liability, civil litigation, labour law, occupational health and safety, access to information and privacy.
Over the years, she has mainly focused her practice on civil liability and labour relations, acting in this regard before all ordinary courts of law, as well as arbitral tribunals, the Administrative Labour Tribunal and the Commission d'accès à l'information.
Ms. Chamberland attaches great importance to social involvement, having sat on the boards of several professional associations and non-profit organizations in the fields of youth, the arts, health care and poverty reduction.
Ms. Chamberland has been teaching the Liability and Labour Law courses at the École du Barreau du Québec since 2017. She has also taught Legal Methodology and Documentary Research 1 and 2 at the Faculty of Law of the Université de Sherbrooke.
Ms. Chamberland joined Lavery in 2014, after practising for more than five years at a national law firm.
Ms. Chamberland attaches great importance to social involvement, serving on the board of several professional associations and non-profit organizations that contribute to the arts, health and the youth.
Ms. Chamberland joined Lavery in 2014, after practising for more than five years in another major law firm.
Publications and lectures
- “Développements récents en droit du travail,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, June 2019.
- “#EtMaintenant - Aux frontières des vies privées et professionnelles: Technologie, harcèlement, réputation et déontologie,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, June 2018.
- “Tout ce que vous devez savoir sur la garantie légale de qualité,” presentation to real estate brokers in the Sherbrooke region, April and May 2018.
- “Les incontournables d'une fin d'emploi réussie,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, June 2017.
- “Déontologie - Médias sociaux: vous n’êtes pas à la maison!”, presentation to students of the École du Barreau, 2016 and 2017.
- “Le témoignage d’expert : conseils pratiques,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, September 2016.
- “Trop bien connaître ses employés ? La collecte et l'utilisation de renseignements personnels en milieu de travail,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, October 2015.
- “CSST – Imputation, partage et transfert, comment y voir plus clair ?”, client seminar on labour and employment law and human rights, June 2013.
- “Développements récents en droit locatif,” presentation to landlord members of CORPIQ, April 2013.
- “Top secret – La protection des renseignements personnels, que devez-vous savoir de plus ?”, client seminar on labour and employment law and human rights, May 2012.
- “Les ordonnances de garde et de soins: aspects pratiques,” annual presentation to psychiatrists at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke, 2010 to 2013.
- Granted the Dean’s Award of the Faculty of Law of the Université de Sherbrooke (2004-2005) (2005-2006).
- Guy-R. Landry Award in 2006 presented to the student with the top mark in the Corporate Law I, Corporate Law II and Securities Law courses.
- McCarthy Tétrault Scholarship in 2007, awarded to a student based on academic excellence, personality and involvement in university life.
- Faculty Engagement Award from the Faculty of Law, presented in recognition of her many volunteer engagements, most significantly her participation in the Legal Aid clinic for an English-language university where she was a legal consultant, as well as her role as founder of the Sherbrooke chapter of Pro Bono Students Canada and coordinator for the 2006-2007 academic year.
- Ambassador in 2015 for the Red Dress Gala, organized by the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
- Intensive seven-day seminar on oral advocacy techniques, Barreau du Québec, 2016
- Master's degree in Common Law and Transnational Law, Université de Sherbrooke, 2007
- Bachelor of Laws, Université de Sherbrooke, 2006
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 2008
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Association du Jeune Barreau du district de Saint-François (the Young Bar of the District of Saint-François)
- Jeune Chambre de Commerce de Sherbrooke (the Young Chamber of Commence of Sherbrooke)
- Chambre de commerce de Sherbrooke (the Chamber of Commerce of Sherbrooke)
- Association des Professionnels en Assurance de l’Estrie (the Insurance Professionals Association of Estrie)