Stéphanie Destrempes is a member of the Franchising and distribution group. She represents Québec-based franchisors and distributors operating in various industries, namely involved in the foodservice and the retail industry, in matters related to the drafting of business agreements such as franchise, license, affiliation, distribution, supply, management, services and security agreements, commercial leases, as well as the infrastructure, the implementation, the management and restructuration of a franchise network.
She is also called upon to collaborate in the writing of articles and conferences on these subjects.
Ms. Destrempes also represents and advises private and institutional lenders, trustees, and receivers in the context of enforcement of security interests at commercial, agricultural, and individual level. She has extensive experience in the application of the Farm Debt Mediation Act, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and in the analysis of security interests. She has been invited to give lectures on these subjects to various industry stakeholders.
A member of the Barreau du Québec since January 2008, Ms. Destrempes is known for her dedication, diligence, and commitment to customer satisfaction. She is appreciated by her clients and colleagues for her determination, accessibility, courtesy, and availability and has been involved for many years in various organizations and committees.
- Author, « Revue de décisions en droit de la franchise », Les Cahiers de la Propriété intellectuelle, Vol. 32, no. 2, Éditions Yvon Blais, May 2th, 2020
- Author, “Revue jurisprudentielle 2017 en droit de la franchise et distribution”, Les Cahiers de la Propriété intellectuelle, vol. 30, no. 2, Éditions Yvon Blais, 2018
- Co-author with Jean-Philippe Turgeon and Craig Tractenberg, “The duty of policing franchise system”, for the Franchise Law Journal, published by the American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising, vol. 36, No. 1
- Collaboration to “Les dix clauses d’importance d’un contrat de franchise”, Cours de perfectionnement du notariat, (2016), 1C.P. du N. 273
- Co-author with Jean-Philippe Turgeon, “The implied duty to act in good faith in franchise agreements: the takeaways from the Canadian case Bertico Inc. v. Dunkin’s Brands Canada ltd.”, International Bar Association, 2015
- “Les dix jugements essentiels en droit de la franchise au Québec”, for Research and legislation Committee of the Young Bar of Montreal, 2015
- Co-author, “Franchising in Canada (and Quebec): Duality of Laws an Culture”, Lexpert, 2014
- “Honnêteté et réseau, droit applicable en matière de franchise et jurisprudence récente” - presentation to Lavery litigation group, March 2017
- “Becoming a Franchisee”, The Franchise Expo, National Event Management, February, April and November 2016
- “Le crédit-bail, le Nouveau Code de procédure civil depuis son adoption et formalités dans le cadre de la réalisation” - presentation for client, April 2016
- “Le Nouveau Code de procédure civile, rappel en matière de réalisation de sûretés et meilleures pratiques liées à la réalisation”, presentation for client, April 2015
- “Le droit de la franchise et ses applications”, March 2015
- “Les impacts de nature environnemental dans le cadre de la réalisation de garanties”, presentation for client, May 2014
- “Droit de la faillite et l’insolvabilité, Rappels pratiques”, January 2014
Professional and community activities
- Member of the Committee of professional development and advancement of the Association of Québec Women in Finance, since September 2015
- Committee of the Golf tournament of the Conseil québécois de la franchise, since 2016
- Nominations committee for the Gala Maillon d’or du Conseil québécois de la franchise, since 2016
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Research and legislation committee of the Young Bar Association of Montréal June 2015 to October 2016
- Comité Prêt à Entreprendre (Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de la Rive-Sud), September 2015 - September 2016
- Fundraising dinner organizing committee of the Canadian Cancer Society, Saint-Hyacinthe area, 2009 to 2016
- Director (treasurer) of the Maison de la famille des Maskoutains, 2012 to 2015
- Organizing Committee of Relay For Life of the Canadian Cancer Society, Saint-Hyacinthe area, 2009 to 2014
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2006
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Association of Québec Women in Finance