Jean Sébastien Massol has been practising with the Labour and Employment Law group at Lavery Lawyers since 2017.
His labour law practice includes providing advice to clients in the areas of labour standards, human rights, labour relations and revising contracts of employment and corporate policies. He also advises employers in connection with claims or procedures relating to employment injuries and occupational diseases. He practises as well in the field of collective relations, including in grievance arbitration, and is called upon to represent clients before administrative tribunals and civil courts in Québec, particularly with respect to occupational health and safety.
He regularly speaks at conferences and provides training seminars on various subjects in connection with labour and employment law, including with respect to labour standards as well as the impact of the legalization of cannabis on the workplace. He also the author of several articles and newsletters dealing with current legal issues, while also being a member of the Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréés.
- Changes in the Workplace Environment in Québec: What You Need to Know!, Canadian Lawyer Magazine, November 12, 2018, jointly with Zeïneb Mellouli
- Whether to Reassign an Incompetent Employee to Another Position: The Controversy Remains (Réaffecter ou non un employé incompétent dans un autre poste : la controverse subsiste), Vigie-RT, Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréés, September 26, 2018, jointly with Ariane Villemaire
- Three New Labour Standards to Keep in Mind With the Passing of Bill 176 (Trois nouvelles normes du travail à retenir dans l’adoption du projet de loi 176), Les Affaires, August 3, 2018, jointly with Véronique Morin
- Hiring: Avenues and Pitfalls (L’embauche : avenues et pièges), Le Coin de l’expert, Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréées, March 6, 2018, jointly with Élodie Brunet
- Dismissal Due to a Breach of the Occupational Health and Safety Rules Related to Lockout, Canadian Employment Safety and Health Guide, January 2018, No. 448
- Catherine Maheu and Jean Sébastien Massol, Recent Developments in Labour and Employment Law in Quebec (Développements récents en droit du travail et de l’emploi au Québec), Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE), 13th Annual Conference, September 22, 2016
- “Recent Amendments to Labour Standards in Québec: What to Expect” (Modifications récentes des normes du travail au Québec : à quoi s'en tenir?), Semaine des relations industrielles – Université de Montréal, March 25, 2019, jointly with Ariane Villemaire
- “Legalization of Cannabis: Impacts in the Workplace” (La légalisation du cannabis : les impacts en milieu de travail), Expo Entrepreneurs – 2019 Edition, January 24, 2019
- Lavery Breakfast Seminar jointly with Véronique Morin and Norman A. Dionne: “Amendments to Labour Standards” (Modification aux normes du travail), November 21, 2018
- “Understanding and Mastering Recent Amendments to Act Respecting Labour Standards” (Comprendre et maîtriser les récentes modifications à la Loi sur les normes du travail), Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréées, November 14, 2018, jointly with Marie-Hélène Jolicoeur
- Lavery Breakfast Seminar jointly with Véronique Morin and Norman A. Dionne: “Legalization of Cannabis: A Practical Guide for Employers” (Légalisation du cannabis : mode d’emploi pratique pour les employeurs), October 4 and 10, 2018
Professional and community activities
- President and co-founder, Université de Montréal Labour Law Committee
- Graduate Microprogram in Labour Law, Université de Montréal (Currently enrolled)
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2016
- B.A. (Industrial Relations), Université de Montréal, 2013
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Barreau du Québec since 2017
- Member, Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréés
- Member, Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada