Ariane Villemaire practises law as a member of the firm's Labour and Employment Law Group.
Ms. Villemaire advises companies, both under provincial and federal jurisdiction, on all labour law matters, and, in particular:
- the interpretation and application of the laws and collective agreements
- certification disputes
- labour relations
- notice periods on termination
- human rights
- complaints for psychological harassment
- dismissals without good and sufficient cause
- the processes of mediation/conciliation
She frequently works in litigious files before grievance arbitrators, the Administrative Labour Tribunal and the civil courts of Québec. She has been involved in injunction files and judicial review cases both before the Superior Court and the Federal Court, and in appeal files in the Court of Appeal.
Ms. Villemaire also drafts and reviews employment contracts and corporate policies. Finally, she gives training and seminars on a variety of subjects, such as the various recourses in labour law, managing absenteeism, use of social media, the duty of loyalty and employee confidentiality.
- Réaffecter ou non un employé incompétent dans un autre poste: la controverse subsiste, Vigie-RT, Ordre des CRHA, September 26, 2018, in collaboration with Jean-Sébastien Massol
- La discrimination au travail: l'affaire de tous?, Need to Know, Lavery, February 2018
- L'absence de retour au travail dans un avenir prévisible: une contrainte excessive pour l'employeur, Need to Know, Lavery, December 2017
- Congédié pour avoir été reconnu coupable de proxénétisme, Need to Know, Lavery, December 2017
- Comment la Cour supérieure du Québec interprétera-t-elle la législation sur les régimes de retraite de Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador, du Québec et du législateur fédéral?, Need to Know, Lavery, August 2017
Professional and community activities
- Gives pro bono legal advice on employment law to non-profit organizations
- Volunteer, YWCA Montreal Legal Information Clinic and YWCA Montreal Centre Multi, fall 2016
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resources Management, McGill University, 2016
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2015