Eric Stevenson is a member of the Business Law group.
Before rejoining Lavery, Mr. Stevenson was a member of senior management at the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF) where he was Superintendent of Client Services and Distribution Oversight, a position he held for five years.
At the AMF, he had also held the positions of Manager, Regulations and Professional and Commercial Practices and Senior Director, Distribution Policies and Compensation.
In his position as Superintendent, he headed a team of nine managers and over 150 employees whose task was to oversee the distribution of financial products and services in Québec by establishing the regulatory framework for this sector of the economy and granting rights to practise to insurance and securities brokers.
Over the course of his career at the AMF, where he spent more than 11 years, he contributed to developing numerous regulatory policies in Québec and in national and international organizations, including:
- Sitting on the Committee on Market Intermediaries of the International Organization of Securities Commissions;
- Chairing or participating on several committees of the Canadian Council of Insurance Regulators;
- Participating on several committees of the Canadian Securities Administrators.
In 2012, he was responsible for implementation of the Integrity in Public Contracts Act and in that capacity he was in charge of assessing the integrity of companies and company officers seeking to enter into public contracts and issuing the authorizations requested when appropriate.
Early in his career, Mr. Stevenson practised securities law with the firm, from 2001 to 2003, and then held the position of Senior Counsel, Securities and Commercial Law, at Desjardins Financial Security life insurance company.
- B.A. Philosophy, Université Laval, 2000
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1999
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1998