Partner, Notary | Montréal and Sherbrooke
Marjolaine Arès is a partner in Lavery’s Business Law Group. She has over 20 years of experience in commercial real estate law, and also specializes in lobbying law, mining and energy law, and telecommunications law.
In real estate law, Mrs. Arès advises clients within the context of purchasing or selling real estate and the development of real estate projects. She contributes in the negotiation and drafting of contracts related to real estate law, as well as property law, establishing in particular the terms of the right of ownership, such as the Right of Superficies, or dismemberments, such as usufructs and security interests. She conducts reviews of real estate securities and off-titles and publishes immovable property rights of any type. She has significant experience in specialized areas such as rail tranportation, fiber optic networks, rights in rem to exploit state resources, transfers concerning public institutions and drafting of private bills.
In terms of lobbying law, Mrs. Arès advises clients with respect to the rules of transparency, ethics and lobbying. She also provides support as an authorized representative for various corporate lobbyists and consultant lobbyists, to assist them in making the required registrations to the provincial (Québec) and federal lobbyist registries.
As a notary, Mrs. Arès undertakes the steps required for certifying and legalizing documentation in an effort to ensure their validity when intended for various foreign countries.
Before joining Lavery, Mrs. Arès practiced for eight years in a study of recognized notaries, more than eight years in two national law firms and nearly four years in a firm with a global presence.
- Co-author of Acquisitions d’un réseau de fibres optiques - Attention : des vérifications additionnelles pourraient s’imposer, [Optical Fiber Network Acquisitions - Beware: Additional Audits May Be Required] – article appearing in L’informateur immobilier commercial, on 11 December 2013
- Co-author of Publicité des droits [Rights Advertising], Québec, Livre, Collection Thema, 8 March 2013
- Co-author, Publicité des droits [Advertising Rights], JurisClasseur Québec, Livre, Collection Droit civil - Biens et publicité des droits, 1 August 2010
- Trainer - Several courses given to law students and articling students regarding the publication of real estate rights at the Bureau de la publicité foncière (Land Registry Office)
- Trainer – trained members and partners of a large law firm regarding business development with public bodies and certain legal aspects to be considered, including the Lobbying Transparency and Ethics Act
Professional activities and community commitments
- Crew M
- Urban Development Institute of Quebec
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Fondation du Mont Notre-Dame of Sherbrooke inc.
- Diploma of notarial law, Université de Sherbrooke, 1997
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke, 1996
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Chambre des notaires since January 1998