Dominique Bélisle is a partner and the coordinator of the Business law group. Her practice focuses primarily on business transactions, real estate, business financing, as well as project development and financing.
Her broad experience has led her to develop a keen interest in the development and financing of industrial and commercial projects.
Ms. Bélisle has been called upon to represent businesses and promoters, lending syndicates, and investment funds, allowing her to give clients the benefit of her experience in syndicated financing and bridge financing as well as in acquisition transactions involving the energy and natural resources industry, hydro-electric power plants, sandpits, open-pit mines, cement plants, real estate investment trusts (REITs), retirement homes, commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS), commercial condominiums, infrastructure projects, surface and emphyteutic rights, and projects held in public-private partnerships (PPP's).
Ms. Bélisle has used her project management training, negotiation skills, and leadership abilities to successfully oversee major transactions and efficiently manage working groups.
In June 2015, Ms. Bélisle was named one of the top eight lawyers (Les huit incontournables du droit) by Premières en affaires magazine. Each year since 2005, she has received a “very high” rating in both legal ability and ethical standards by the Martindale-Hubbel Peer Review Ratings.
- Represents and acts as lead counsel to Freestone International LLC and GNL Quebec Inc. in all aspects of the US$7 billion project development to implement a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on a site administered by the Saguenay Port Authority. In particular, the Lavery team participated in the drafting and negotiation of the land option agreement with the Port of Saguenay, in legal opinions related to several aspects of the project, in the creation of the corporate and tax structure of ownership and in the creation of the investment vehicle and in the related several rounds of equity financing
- Represented Gaz Métro in the acquisition of pipelines and the related due diligence
- Acted for buyers in the asset acquisition of the White Birch Paper Company, a major player in the pulp and paper industry, while simultaneously supervising the transfer of its plants, the financing of assets, and the granting of guarantees
- Was involved in the financing of a wind energy company
- Represented Hydro-Québec TransÉnergie (HQTE) in the acquisition of six power transmission lines from Corporation Abitibi-Consolidated of Canada ("CACC") in connection with CACC’s plan of arrangement with its creditors and the acquisition by Hydro-Québec Production of CACC’s stake in the McCormick Hydroelectric Power Plant
- Acted as agent for a lending syndicate represented by the TD Bank in the financing of up to $81 million of a world-renowned manufacturer of particleboard
- Represented a Canadian financial institution in the $50 million financing of the fleet of a major car and truck rental company and drafted and negotiated the intercreditor agreements with the other club deal creditors
- Represented a Canadian financial institution with respect to the project financing granted to a promoter in the amount of $36.3 million for the construction of a 12-story building of luxury condominium units in Montréal
- Represented a major multinational company in its $100 million financing by a banking syndicate and its US$52 million financing by a Canadian bank to refinance a private placement. Also represented this client with respect to the private placement of notes in the U.S. market
- Represented a Canadian financial institution in financing of up to $76 million for the construction of a two-tower building on Maisonneuve West Boulevard in Montréal and the negotiations with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) to authorize the conversion of one of the two towers into a property held through divided co-ownership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the fields of Energy Law, since 2020
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1985
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Urban Development Institute
- Association of Quebec Women in Finance
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Montreal Chamber Music Festival
- Member for the CBA National Business Law Section
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1986